Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tax's for the disabled

Tax's for the disabled

Hey, I was wondering if there is some were out there that I can get my taxes done for free. I tried the senior center at the YMCA. 5 yrs ago they did it for me for free but this year I called and the woman I spoke to said that they are through AARP so that I had to be a senior. S.O.B.'s send me shit all the time but yet they don't want to help me?
    The thing is I replaced all my windows this year and was wondering if I could get a tax break on the winerization. I don't have to file at all because I am on DSSI and no other income. But is it possable to gat a little back if I do file this year?
    Any info would be nice, thanks.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    are you single? if so, unless you are getting $50,000 a year in SSDI(think that what you meant), it's not taxable. if you had no income, you paid no taxes, so how could you get anything back? In Illinois you should file a return even if you have 0 income, i haven't been and i called with some questions and they were asses and said I need to file every year. shouldn't be hard to do yourself with no income, federal you just enter 1/2 SSDI on line 20a, the rest all 0'S. state would be all 0's

Well under 50K more like 16K and single so I should file fed. and do my self? I hate this time of year because it means dealing with the feds and they have a way of screwing with you. I had WIRC come in and replace the heater and door and 3 windows but I replaced 8 and I did the work my self and it still cost me $1800 for the windows. And then the beer and steaks for the friends that did the work but that don't count.

if you had less than $3650 income, you don't have to file federal because that is your deduction. Illinois the deduction is $2000, but even if you owe nothing, you are required to file. I would do both just so they have it on record. if you have $0 income, only dollar amounts you have is SSDI full amount for year on line 20a and if 1/2 is less than $25000, the taxable amount is 0 for line 20b(i messed that up earlier). rest is all 0's. state 1040 would be all 0's. some libraries offer free tax help.

Here is an IRS publication with information on getting free help with your tax preparation: http://www.irs.gov/individuals/artic...107626,00.html
    Try an internet search, "Free help with tax preparation."

To qualify for federal tax incentives for home improvements, homeowners must use brands of energy-efficient products that meet the standards of the U.S. Department of Energy. However, on December 17, 2010, Obama signed a tax measure that has reduced the tax credits for energy-efficient remodeling to 10 percent instead of the original 30 percent. Search the internet for "Tax Credits for Energy Saving Home Improvements for more information."

All the best,
    GJ

hey thanks all. I hope this helps me out. it sure would be nice to get something back for the windows, I am still paying the loan off (double payments) my PA is also my feancee'so her income helps out.

Colleges often offer free tax preparation from their students.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by darrel View Post
    hey thanks all. I hope this helps me out. it sure would be nice to get something back for the windows, I am still paying the loan off (double payments) my PA is also my feancee'so her income helps out.
    you can get tax dollars back if you didn't pay in. Illinois is where you get screwed anyway, those incentives are all federal, not state and can't deduct medical from state.

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    you can get tax dollars back if you didn't pay in. Illinois is where you get screwed anyway, those incentives are all federal, not state and can't deduct medical from state.
    so you are saying that if I get 1600 a year that the feds will give me money? I did not pay any taxes though, this can't be earned income. and I have medicaid and medicare so I don't really have enough to right of on med.

You won't get anything back. No reason to even file, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by darrel View Post
    so you are saying that if I get 1600 a year that the feds will give me money? I did not pay any taxes though, this can't be earned income.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!