Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oxybutynin er

Oxybutynin er

I have been taking oxybutynin er for like 4 years and recently it seems to no longer work for me. Anyone have any other options that may work.
    Go Georgia Bulldogs

Why did this get moved to the pain forum when its about bladder spasm med?????
    Go Georgia Bulldogs

sorry i dont know about Oxybutynin...other than what i just googled about it.
    It certainly doesnt look like a pain med....as it says its used for bladder control.
    Perhaps.....
    it was moved here because as soon as someone saw oxy........
    they figured it was a pain med.
    Hope you find your answers
    From what i looked up it says they can increase the dosage...i would talk to your prescribing Dr.
    peace
    Baron
    Has it been five years yet? ..........

ya this is a bladder med not a pain issue. how is it not working for you anymore? are you leaking? are u getting more spasms?

YOu can trya and pair it with another med. I was maxed out on it plus on desmpressin and another medication. After all those meds i was still having bladder leakage. I opted for the bladder botox and it changed my life. I still take an enablex Er for some strong spasms but other than that no more bladder meds.

Oxybutinin (Ditropan) is the most commonly used bladder anticholenergic medication, but it is not the only one. It is used mostly for 1) decreasing dangerously high bladder pressures and/or 2) to prevent leakage and maintain bladder capacity. I assume you are doing intermittent cath for bladder management?

Other similar drugs include Detrol, Vesicare, Enablex, and Sanctura (there are others). Sometimes it takes trial and error to find which one, or combination of these, works best for you. Often tricyclic antidepressant such as imipramine (in low dose) can be used in addition, primarily for their anticholenergic side effects.

If none of these are working for you, after a concerted trial and working with a good neurologic urologist, then you may want to explore the option of bladder Botox. An augmentation surgery would be the next and more drastic step.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Oxybutinin (Ditropan) is the most commonly used bladder anticholenergic medication, but it is not the only one. It is used mostly for 1) decreasing dangerously high bladder pressures and/or 2) to prevent leakage and maintain bladder capacity. I assume you are doing intermittent cath for bladder management?

Other similar drugs include Detrol, Vesicare, Enablex, and Sanctura (there are others). Sometimes it takes trial and error to find which one, or combination of these, works best for you. Often tricyclic antidepressant such as imipramine (in low dose) can be used in addition, primarily for their anticholenergic side effects.

If none of these are working for you, after a concerted trial and working with a good neurologic urologist, then you may want to explore the option of bladder Botox. An augmentation surgery would be the next and more drastic step.

(KLD)
    I used the Oxy for about a year. I told my urologist, I thought it was making me stupid and I was still voiding, he told me he heard of that same complaint before and switched me to Sanctura XR. That drug is crazy expensive and I'm still voiding even though I cath every 3 hours. I was considering Botox but I void during the night into a urinal and I'm worried about AD..........any thoughts.

Botox is really only an option for those who do not void (ie, who do intermittent cath, or have an indwelling catheter) as it works by paralyzing the bladder muscle.

Have you had urodynamics?? What are your bladder pressures when you void? If you are voiding with high pressures, this can be the cause of your AD.

Meanwhile, have you tried any of these other meds, and in what dosage?

(KLD)

[QUOTE=SCI-Nurse;1325159]Botox is really only an option for those who do not void (ie, who do intermittent cath, or have an indwelling catheter) as it works by paralyzing the bladder muscle.

Have you had urodynamics?? What are your bladder pressures when you void? If you are voiding with high pressures, this can be the cause of your AD.

Meanwhile, have you tried any of these other meds, and in what dosage?

(KLD)[/QUOTE

I had the uro test about a year ago, I don't remember the results but the Dr told they were fine. I've only tried Oxy (25mg) and Santura ER(60mg), none of the others and I still have to use a pad everyday. Apparently I have a spastic bladder, BTW I do IC every 3 hours

See if your urolgist will give you a sample of Tovaz I have been on it for over a year and half now and no leaks no runs no errors it's great

Did you have similar issues or have you always been on Tovaz? Have you experienced any side effects........what mg.