Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mrsa in the bladder - but is it parent or child of problems

mrsa in the bladder - but is it parent or child of problems

Hello all, it's been awhile since my last post... so here goes it.

From my search on the site I can't seem to find any recent posts regarding mrsa bacteria living in the bladder so I'll post my story and wait for feedback.

My urine was cultured Monday, 2/7, and was been found to have mrsa living in it. This was after a negative test the week of January 17.

The test that week was taken to follow up on a 2 week course of Septra to kill mrsa found in a culture taken on 12/28. The start that week was prompted by another bout of extra low blood pressure which seemed tied to an episode I had 11/29.

On that occasion I had ended up in the ER after reaching a point of slurring my speech, not being able to stay awake and my cuff at home not being able to register my BP (this was initially caused by a dysreflexic response to a bowel issue). My BP when I was first at the ER was fine but eventually they saw it bottom out and believed us. They then took blood and urine, white cell count in blood was very high and urine cultured for ecoli. They put me on leviquin for UTI (to this day I know that the episode was not caused by the UTI as I had no signs or symptoms of one and had been having sporadic bowel issues since the first of October) and kept me in ICU for 2 days because they couldn't get my blood pressure to stabilize. I went home on cypro as insurance wouldn't cover leviquin at home.

My concern and reason for this post is that the mrsa bacteria has never shown up on a culture before and wasn't even on the first one in November, how concerned should I be about the mrsa?

I know I've got something going on with my body but don't know if bladder is cause of it or just something that's popped up to add to the fun.
    This too shall pass...

Oh, and forgot to mention... 11 yr post sci, t5/6 complete, supra pubic cath 11 years, hadn't been treated with antibiotics in 5+ years
    This too shall pass...

My first question is how did the emergency room staff take the urine sample?...
    From the leg bag? From the supra pubic (SP) catheter you came in with? or did they remove the catheter that you went in with and culture the urine from a
    sterile cath procedure (if not done with a new sterile catheter through the SP in the emergency room...I would have to ask if you have an active bladder infection or if you are colonized or if there was MSRA contamination in the emergency room--even then the sterile cath procedure if not done well could pick up hospital MSRA). Having low blood pressure, in and of itself is not a definitive sign that you have any kind of bladder infection. What else may be causing the low blood pressure issues?

All the best,
    GJ

For the past 10 years all urine samples have been taken from my leg bag. Even though medical staff don't like it I learned early on that if I opened up my cath-leg bag system that I would end up with an infection.

(I stopped switching to a night bag a few months after my accident and SP were put in, it greatly reduced my UTI rate. My system is changed once a month using a sterile method, I've been doing the change myself for the past 8 years.)

The entire system was changed between each test and all three samples were turned in at different locations.

Before this affair I hadn't been treated with antibiotics for a UTI in 6 years. It had been a about a year since I'd even suspected I might have a true UTI and upped my D-mannose. In fact when I went to the ER I didn't think I had a UTI and still think the doc was using it as an easy out so nothing else had to be looked at. Only reason I agreed to the antibiotics was that the secondary ER doc on duty was my sister's primary care doc and is a very reasonable gal and explained the numbers to me.

Only thing different/strange that my bladder's been doing is leaking from the SP site sometimes. It's never done that in 11 years (even when tube kinked or had bad bladder infection. If pee couldn't go down tube I just peed like normal) until late October this year.

The low blood pressure doesn't have anything to do with the e-coli/mrsa in the bladder. I've been dealing with some sort of bowel issue since September (and is why it didn't shock me that the e-coli was higher in my bladder) and it is related to that, unless the bowel issue is a result of a bladder issue... Gotta love SCI.
    Last edited by julran; 02-11-2011 at 12:14 AM.
    This too shall pass...

Hi julran,

Without making a large post here, I would refer you to http://www.oculusis.com/us/technology/mrsa/ You can also run a search on Microcyn or Vetericyn and find an abundant amount of information.

Good luck with your bugs.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

I agree with Millard about searching this site and the internet regarding Microcyn. After reading your second post, I don't think anything I have to suggest would be acceptable to you.
    Let us know how you are progressing.

All the best,
    GJ

Thanks for the info, I guess that answers what I was trying to ask, I do need to treat this one till it's gone for good... I can't just let it live happily in my bladder like the e-coli used to. Dang, I should have trusted my gut and not gone on the antibiotics when I was in the ICU the first time.
    This too shall pass...

Oh cool, hadn't been searching correctly before... Just read the blog on nSOS that Liela posted. Gonna give the bladder rinsing a try I think, as I need to kick this but don't want to risk making it stronger. Since I already have an infection not really risking much breaking the system at this point. If nothing else it has opened other possibilities to me.
    Just surprised and scared me when heard it was back.
    This too shall pass...

Blog Entries
    When my urologist takes a sample for tests, It is done by inserting a syringe needle into the fat part of the cath and withdrawing the sample into the syringe. He doesn't like cathing in the hospital because of the nasty bugs around.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

After all of the posts, I am not quite sure what to answer. Let me just add, that MRSA is everywhere. And I mean, everywhere. I think that sometimes we forget that. It can be hospital acquired, but also community acquired. Especially if you are around groups of people (which pretty much we all are). Schools, Day cares, etc are breeding grounds for it. So it is hard to tell where you may have picked it up. You should try to get it cleared up, but know that it can come back. MRSA screens should also include testing of the nares, arm pits, rectal area -
    CKF