Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Middle of the night and scared

wow
    thx
    take care

I just saw this post Linda. I'm so sorry Dave & you have been so sick.
    I can't even imagine how scared you were. I'm so glad your aide was able to let you get some much needed rest. I know how hard it is to see the ones you love hurting.
    Praying both of you stay well. {hugs} God Bless y'all!

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    Thankfully I got 10 hours of sleep and been able to keep fluids and food in.
    The #1 aide was here and took over, still here since last night.
    I think I was nearly manic with exhaustion and worry and depression creeping in.
    Thank-You everyone.
    Sometimes even the back up plan fails.
    My mom and sister came over and cleaned up some of the calamity.
    Yes, the longer daylight is wonderful, I can't wait to be able to just go outside again.
    Dave's nausea passed without him throwing up and he was able to keep hydrated.
    What a life.
    I've only just seen this Linda, so sorry you two have been having such a rough time and delighted that it seems to be sorted.

I think those that suffer cold Winters have had enough of this brute and life will be particularly sweet when Spring arrives!

guess a lot of us just saw this. as for me, i check new posts so that's why i caught it this time.

sorry, linda. hope things are better now.

I'm so sorry, Linda. I can imagine just how tired you have to be on a good day. I'm glad things are better for you both now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambisinister View Post
    I use a cuffed trach as well, and I have vomited many times with it inflated and deflated and I haven't experienced any ill effects from it. I am two and half years post and was completely vent dependent for the first 14 months after which I slowly began to be able to breathe on my own during the day. I still sleep with the vent and the cuff inflated. I find it more irritating to use a trach without a cuff, but that is just me. I drop the cuff in the morning when I wake up and inflate it before going back on the vent. I absolutely hated the passey muir valve and would make family and caregivers read my lips (at least most of the time) rather than stick that thing in line with the vent. Since I have regained some ability to breathe I am very thankful that I don't have to use it anymore.

Anyway as far as puking with the cuff inflated or deflated, I prefer to do it with the cuff inflated if I am on the vent. No medical backing behind this just what I have found to be easier. Hope it helps, and let me know if you have any other questions. I have been a lurker on this site for at least a year and have read many of your posts Linda and often felt guilty for not registering and throwing in my two cents. There aren't a whole lot of us high quads with trachs, and sharing information is invaluable.

Hope you guys kick the bug and feel better soon.
    Ambisinister,

Thank you for sharing this. I appreciate differing opinions. I absolutely love my Passy Muir Valve (I use it inline for roughly 14-17 hours per day) and switching from a cuff to cuffless trach was another improvement for me (it made my trach changes easier and reduced my overall secretions). Different strokes for different folks. No worries. I think we can all agree that the key is for each person to find what works best for them.

LindaT, I hope your aides and things have stabilized and all this trouble is behind you.

God bless all.

Bill Miller
    Wheelchair users -- even high-level quads... WANNA BOWL?

I'm a C1-2 with a legit 255 high bowling game.

It was odd to see this thread pop up today and remember that hellish winter episode.
    I did learn a lot and the support meant the world to me.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    It was odd to see this thread pop up today and remember that hellish winter episode.
    I did learn a lot and the support meant the world to me.
    As I said back then, toughest people in the world on CC. And the most compassionate

linda what about keeping fenergan suppositories on hand for situations like this. it helps very well with nausea, and also helps a little with pain. it doesnt cause jumpy muscles like the iv fenergan does also.

oh hell its an old thread. well, im glad its old, and not what you are dealing with today.