Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Occupational Therapist

Maybe it's just because of the poor medical care where I live, but I can't even get my mind around the concept of an OT making a housecall!

That what they are doing here. They come to the house and look and see what have to be changed so it is possible to live there and they see what we need of equipment and they are the one applying for the things we need. Everybody has their OT they can email and call if they need anything.

I remember I got my new hc kitchen, I had been waiting for two years and my OT came to my appartment and she was filling up the kitchen with all my things and my food and did put it inside in a way so it should be as easy as possible for me. She had even been drawing that kitchen for me to make it wheelchair accissible and did the same with the bathroom.
    The firm that did my bathroom didn't follow her drawings and now my bathroom is not working optimal and my OT now is trying to fight to change it because it is difficult to take a shower the way it is.

I know what I need myself and in reallity it would have been nice to do those things myself but it is not legal. I can only get the things that is neccessary for me and the OT has to argue for me to get it and it happens she get a refuse. The bad thing is we can't buy the thing ourselfs, no shop has equipment for disable people, so if they refuse I won't get it and can't buy it. And if I can buy it, it is so expensive because it is only one company and no competition, I can't afford it. This system is very difficult to explain, even if I get a flat tire on my chair, I have to do it through the OT. I can't buy a new tire in the shop, they don't have tires for a chair. And it takes time and then I mean weeks. But that is different in different parts of the country, some place the people can just go and pick it up, here the OT has to apply for it and then when I get it, the OT has to come and put it on. LOL, those things are a whole science here in Oslo , it is a lot of rules and we are lost if we don't know them.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Yeah, my OT has also come to my house to see where he can make things easier. For example, he got a bath lift for me and set it up. Realistically, I know there are duties I will not be able to preform but, as others have said there will be other people to help. I could see myself working as an OT in mental health or for an insurance company or even the rehab setting with only certain duties. I guess what I'm saying is I believe where there is a will, there is a way.

I agree with you. Sadly the people here don't think the same so only 40% of the people with SCI, CP and other disability work and in a country with 4 million people, it is 90 000 disable people who can and will work who are without a job. The people who work are people with a master education and no physical work and happened to find a place who was accessible. I know two people in chairs who has a OT education and one did find a job after 7 years. I have a friend with CP who has an education as a social worker and psycology from the university, she has even been taken some of her education in Georgia and in South Africa, she is 37 years old and has not had a paid job yet.

So it is very important to take an education other people believe you can do. And I wish you luck, I think it is much easier to find a job in the US than here.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Have been visited by the system employed OTs here and have to say, every OT is a vaccuous waste of time. I won't be having anything to do with them again the visits are a waste of time here. They list the equipment I needed but now because of all their shit they control what i get but am have been on the lost list waiting list for a standing lifter I dont need it anymore, as I have progressed to needing a hoyer, which might take them here til i die to get.

Quote Originally Posted by all-buggered-up View Post
    Have been visited by the system employed OTs here and have to say, every OT is a vaccuous waste of time. I won't be having anything to do with them again the visits are a waste of time here. They list the equipment I needed but now because of all their shit they control what i get but am have been on the lost list waiting list for a standing lifter I dont need it anymore, as I have progressed to needing a hoyer, which might take them here til i die to get.
    the OTs aren't the ones who actually order the equipment recommended. the bottleneck is probably somewhere else.

the squeaky wheel gets the grease. get on the phone.

i have had OT/PT come to my home thru the agency that i get my aide service.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

An OT came out and gave suggestions for mods for my house, and ordered equipment that I needed. The equipment showed up the day I came home from the hospital. Than I had someone come out twice a week until an outpatient program could be set up for me (it was a couple of weeks before they fit my appointments in.)
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Heres how the system works the south Australian way. You can get your needs assessed by a system employed OT the assist team assign. The assist team then determine where you are on the waiting list, the government fund assist to assess you, and provide you with necessary equipment to keep you independent. Sounds great, doesn't work though they will apply too housing sa to do any alterations to my government provided accomodation, my disability services co-ordinator can apply for minor stuff I need from the public housing authority. It's the equipment I need that they are inept at delivering. Like they love to go through the motions of getting me in for a seating examination, I have had 3 sofar for the same chair, they keep telling me I need the same seating adjustments but by that time I wiill hopefully have another wheelchair mean waiting on a list for the same set of survices you weere promised 4-6 =and 8 years ago gets a bit much.

I thought I would update this thread because my OT and I had a discussion about this today. We were talking about school and he asked me what I wanted to do when I was done high school and I told him I still want to be an OT but, I've had some hesitation. He asked why and I said that I see the things I struggle with as a patient and wonder how I will help my patients. He asked me specifically what tasks I was concerned with, so I told him lifting and stuff. He said the same thing you all did; that I could find a job where very little physical work was required. I told him what I told all of you; I don't want to let my chair get in the way of what I truly want because I KNOW I will regret it, speaking from experience. He told me that if there is a university profession where a wheelchair can be worked around, it's OT. It has mae me feel much better to have his honest support and encouragement. Will it be easy? No, but the hard workwill be so unbeleviably worth it. Thank you all for your support. It means so much.

WG