Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ADA new rule regarding public swimming pools

Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    I can see myself being shouted down but I will say it anyway. How many of these lifts will be purchased and never used if there were 100% compliance? If I were running a business and had to spend hard earned profits to install a lift that no one ever used I think it would piss me off. To have to spend the money because someone might come seems a bit much. They should be able to rent a lift if they have a need and maybe after renting a number of times it would be more economical to buy one.
    No, you won't get shouted down, but don't expect me to agree. Yes, providing access for customers with disabilities creates expenses for business owners. There are a host of responsibilities with associated costs that come with running a business. Providing access is one of them. The cost of a pool lift is relatively minor compared to the other costs associated with providing a pool to paying customers. How many years have PWD paid for a pool they could not use? This is still going on today.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

I saw where the hotels got an extension from a friend on Facebook. I'd suggest everyone write their senators and rep before next January. The hotel industry has a very wealthy lobby.

As for the cost? How many gimps will be sueing hotels over lift falls versus Spring Breakers who dive or fall in from 8 stories up while loaded? This also applies to American embarking/disembarking cruise ships. I couldn't even get off the Celebrity Summit in Newport, RI because they use lifeboats as tenders and it's dangerous. So is not knowing how to get non-walkers off a boat in calm waters versus waiting for a storm or grounding. And yet I pay for upscale hotel pools, hot tubs and on cruise ships I 'automatically' tip pool butlers when I can't use a pool or the spa.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    the costs of installing lifts isn't any more than they spend making designated "smoking areas". It's bullshit they get extension after extension, bet most never even attempted to comply.
    On another note, I spoke with the person that handles ADA compliance for continental hotel brands(holiday inn). I was told that hotels that offer only single bed accessible room are suppose to be by another connecting room(door in between)and the adjoining room is to be free of charge if needed. I asked who enforces the rule cause I have been in very few ADA room the are connecting room. I also was told of several other "rules" that never are enforced. I never did get an answer?

Wow, that explains why I have not seen any lifts at hotels yet. I figured something was up in the form of a extension or something.

Sue, you did not miss too much with Newport, the access here is horrible in a lot of places. Can't even get into one store in "Brick Market Place" as there is one step into each store. They claim to not provide access because it is historic. I live around 5 miles away from brick market place.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    Wow, that explains why I have not seen any lifts at hotels yet. I figured something was up in the form of a extension or something.

Sue, you did not miss too much with Newport, the access here is horrible in a lot of places. Can't even get into one store in "Brick Market Place" as there is one step into each store. They claim to not provide access because it is historic. I live around 5 miles away from brick market place.
    I had a husband along and my manual chair, Curt. One step is not a problem. My ability to get off a ship in American waters, as an American, with all the other Americans make me livid. On occasion we just find an outside restaurant, bar, trail to roll down or something and do that. Why would I want to stay on a ship during a port day? Discounts at the spa that isn't accessible? Best seats near the pool I can't get in? I get screwed both ways on those stops. As far as historic, you should take a few pictures around and in Faneuilhal Hall next time you're near Boston. They added lifts to get people from one level to another and that market dates to 1742. They want to make their market a UNESCO site then we'll discuss their being allowed to be inaccessible.
    Besides after Boston the next stop was also a place that I couldn't get off at--Bar Harbour. At that point I rolled up to the spa and said I needed a full massage or I might hit their outdoor pool at a fast roll and dive in. They could figure out how to get me out. What they could offer was a manicure or getting my hair done. I said I'd go for the hair and asked which basin was the accessible one. "Huh?"

Marriott Hotels do have a central ADA service center so that the company knows that only those needing access get their access rooms. It goes from Fairfield Inns up to their W hotels. Their newer hotels look like they have sealed with chrome holes for adding lifts as soon as they have to in their pools.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    the costs of installing lifts isn't any more than they spend making designated "smoking areas". It's bullshit they get extension after extension, bet most never even attempted to comply.
    On another note, I spoke with the person that handles ADA compliance for continental hotel brands(holiday inn). I was told that hotels that offer only single bed accessible room are suppose to be by another connecting room(door in between)and the adjoining room is to be free of charge if needed. I asked who enforces the rule cause I have been in very few ADA room the are connecting room. I also was told of several other "rules" that never are enforced. I never did get an answer?
    No one enforces it and no one gives a crap.
    I am sick to death of dealing wwith this every time I go somewhere. F the pool, I want to have my whole family sleep in the same room.
    I have filed 4 complaints, these cases move slower than snails in winter.

Also can you give me this number for Holiday Inn? I have to stay in one this weekend for another baseball tournament. Entire team gets 2 beds per room but me. So my mom has to pay for an extra room if she wants to go. Total BS. They have no ajoining hc rooms.
    Manager said no discount because we were already getting $15 off for a group rate for the ball team.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.