Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Diet soda risks

I always choose diet drinks....I like them and don't like using calories on regular drinks when I like the taste of diet ones. This is depressing reading!

As reported by Medscape Medical News, previous studies have suggested a link between diet soda consumption and the risk for metabolic syndrome and diabetes. But this is the first time diet drinks have been associated with vascular events.
    This bit surprised me too. Why the link to diabetes? I thought no sugar meant no relation to diabetes. I'm confused.

I'm going to still drink my caffeine free diet soda's, I try to drink water but it makes me pee too often.

Diet Soda

The study followed 2500 people for 9.3 years, but did not say what the physical condition the subjects were in or their eating habits.

How many times have you been in a burger place and hear some obese person order a double cheeseburger, large fries and a diet Coke?

The researchers did say that a diet drink is not bad if you practice healthy eating and get some exercise.
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    I'm going to still drink my caffeine free diet soda's, I try to drink water but it makes me pee too often.
    I find pop (soda) makes me pee as much as water. Grr.
    I drank two cans of regular Coke today.

soda + sugar = bad for you period. try water or real (no corn syrup) fruit juice diluted with water--and add some soda water to give it a kick.

It will take a while but once you break the habit you won't miss it...well at least most of the time
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Can't believe it is the "caramel" flavoring because all colas diet or not have the "caramel" flavoring componenet.

All the best,
    GJ
    I think that is what I was trying to say, that it made no difference if it was diet or regular cola drinks, hence it can't be caffeine and has to be either the artificial sweetner or the caramel coloring, although that falls apart if we are talking about something like orange soda or mountain dew. They have artificial flavors too though........I am so confused. I will keep drinking my damn diet cokes no matter what. Like Linda said, it is one of those things I look forward too, damnit.

Well....what is it they say....."You have to die from something."

All the best,
    GJ

All the best,
    GJ

LOL yeah, well it was vanity that really made me stop--if I have to be honest .wanted my stomach to stop bloating and fit my cloths better ! lol
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

All the best,
    GJ
    Death by diet coke. If it hasn't killed me in over 35 years.......
    It would be hard to know if it would be the dc or what because my diet in general is not as healthy as it should be. I suspect this would be the case in a lot of the people in the study.
    I just went to the walk in clinic and found out I have bronchitis, but she said my "BP is perfect."
    I thought Lady, you don't know what a perfect BP is at my house.

I saw a little story about that study and it wasn't even published, only discussed at a conference. The doctor that was interviewed basically said the study was junk since it was so poorly executed. I've gotta have my diet coke most days to get going in the morning.

I know it's ironic that someone will order a burger and a diet coke, but some people can't handle all of the sugar in a regular coke (like me).