Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Diet soda risks

Diet soda risks

Bummer......I love diet Coke!

From Medscape Medical News > Neurology
    Diet Soda May Heighten Risk for Vascular Events
    Allison Gandey
    February 9, 2011 (Los Angeles, California) — Diet soda may not be the healthier alternative many had hoped. A new study suggests that the popular drinks may increase the risk for stroke, myocardial infarction, and vascular death.

"People who had diet soda every day experienced a 61% higher risk of vascular events than those who reported drinking no soda," lead investigator Hannah Gardener, ScD, an epidemiologist from the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine in Florida, told reporters attending a news conference here at the International Stroke Conference.

Dr. Hannah Gardener
    The risk persisted after controlling for metabolic syndrome, peripheral vascular disease, and cardiac disease history (relative risk, 1.48; 95% confidence interval, 1.03 - 2.12).

"This is the first report of this association," said American Stroke Association national spokesperson Larry Goldstein, MD. "I think that it's always good to do things in moderation. People should look at this information and consider it in the context of their other risk factors."

The researchers looked at more than 2500 people from the multiethnic Northern Manhattan Study. Participants were asked to report how much and what kind of soda they drank.

During an average follow-up of 9.3 years, 559 vascular events occurred, including ischemic and hemorrhagic stroke.

The researchers also observed a marginally significant increased risk for vascular events among those who consumed moderate or daily regular soda (relative risk, 0.93; 95% confidence interval, 0.74 - 1.16).

As reported by Medscape Medical News, previous studies have suggested a link between diet soda consumption and the risk for metabolic syndrome and diabetes. But this is the first time diet drinks have been associated with vascular events.

"This is an observational study and not a prospective randomized trial," Dr. Goldstein, from the Duke Stroke Center, in Durham, North Carolina, pointed out. "This is an association and not yet a proven causal relationship."

The investigators acknowledge that additional studies are needed. The potential mechanisms for the association between diet soda and vascular events remain unknown.

What should clinicians advise patients on the basis of the information we have today? Steven Greenberg, MD, from Harvard Medical School in Boston, Massachusetts, suggests that patients start by concentrating on a healthy diet and regular exercise. "Once the metabolic syndrome is under control and any risk of diabetes, then we can consider cutting back on soda consumption." Dr. Greenberg is the vice chair of the International Stroke Conference Committee, and during an interview he suggested that patients shouldn't rush to eliminate diet drinks.

"I do think this is a wake-up call, though," he said, "and we need to start paying closer attention."

This study was funded by the Javits award from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke and the Evelyn McKnight Brain Institute. The researchers have disclosed no relevant financial relationships.

American Stroke Association International Stroke Conference. Abstract # P55. News conference February 9, 2011.

Medscape Medical News © 2011 WebMD, LLC
    Send comments and news tips to news@medscape.net.

Saw this on CNN today. My sister continually have this conversation about diet pop (sorry, you yanks call it soda).

How does your pancreas know the difference?

I know a couple of gals at work who lost weight but their skin looks pale and dry - I blame it on their consumption of diet pop.

I gave it up in November .. if you can get through the first three weeks, you'll be fine. I don't buy it so I don't crave it.

I'm not convinced that sugar substitutes are healthy.

Later on in the article on CNN, it talked about salt consumption as well (50mg of sodium in a diet Coke can 355mL) ... they can pry the salt from my cold, dead hands. Not giving that up!
    When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

In addition to this very disturbing news, carbonated drinks with caffeine cause bladder and bowel problems. The carbonic acid in the drinks irritates the bladder and along with the caffeine makes the urine alkaline which creates a good environment for bacteria growth. Beverages with caffeine cause dehydration and that causes difficulty with constipation. What's a soda lover to do????

All the best,
    GJ

I am assuming that it has something to do with either the artificial sweetner or the caramel flavoring, since I think it didn't make any difference if you drank caffeine free coke. I like lemon or lime carbonated water like Poland Springs, but my body craves at least one diet coke a day!

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    the caffeine makes the urine alkaline which creates a good environment for bacteria growth. Beverages with caffeine cause dehydration and that causes difficulty with constipation
    GJ
    *sigh* This had better not affect my tea consumption!!! And who doesn't like a specialty coffee once in a while!
    When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I gave it up too..but also am addicted to salt! just pigged out on organic black bean corn chips..and my feet are swollen ..oh well..I am doing everything else right-I can have this vice! and besides I need it for bp!

Diet soda --the sweetners cause extreme stomach distress in some --gas and bloating etc..so that is why I gave it up..

I use Truvia now..in my coffee..but never ever touch the diet soda..though I really miss rum and diet coke! ;((
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Blog Entries
    Yep, I use my low BP as an excuse to eat salty snacks - mostly nuts.

Don
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 25 years post injury

fake sugars are also bad for ur intestinal flora as well.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    I am assuming that it has something to do with either the artificial sweetner or the caramel flavoring, since I think it didn't make any difference if you drank caffeine free coke. I like lemon or lime carbonated water like Poland Springs, but my body craves at least one diet coke a day!
    Can't believe it is the "caramel" flavoring because all colas diet or not have the "caramel" flavoring componenet.

All the best,
    GJ

Seriously, as soon as I heard this today on Morning Joe (I like Mika, but some mornings I'd lke to wring her skinny little body) I thought NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
    Really, it is one of my last enjoyments to be honest. I don't drink coffee, but have 2 diet cokes. I drink one right away, and sip on the second the rest of the morning.
    I wake up and think about having my diet coke. Not a big shock that it is bad for you or anything.
    I drink tea the rest of the day or crystal lite in the summer. (suppose CL bad too......)
    My only other vice is beer, but not like that is a daily thing.