Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shoulder pain

Quote Originally Posted by xtravla View Post
    I am not one to talk but with a SCI it is so very important to work out the muscles that you are able to work. Light weights are the best. Do not try to bulk so much as to keep strong. We all deal with loss of muscle, especially during the cold months when we do very little more but try to stay warm and keep out pain at bay. I notice my bi muscles shrinking and my shoulders hurt more just from chair use. Get serious about eating right and work out what muscles you can. At one time I could bench press 355 lbs. I am happy to be able to push a 45 pound bar now, or use a 20lb dumbell. A little something always beats alot of nothing.
    That works great for awhile....but as you get older overuse the only answer to that is more bed time resting them.

Art
    Art

Quote Originally Posted by bcsimpsons View Post
    Yes Art your right, only 7 years. I think a lot of the reason that they bit the dust so quick was because my house is not adequately accessible. Every night and day I have to get myself up and down 20 stairs atleast once a day. There is not enough room at the top of these stairs to use my chair so I need to just drag myself around when I get up there. The bedrooms are up on this floor. I have tried staying on the main floor and sleeping on the couch but my back hurts so much the next day that I cant do that. It completely sucks!!

Becky
    OH man you need to do something else...move r bed downstairs.....find a different place. You cannot afford to keep doing that.
    If you stop these bad habits and get electric chair it may go away after awhile.
    Honest if you dont you well be in a nursing home.....you want that?
    Sorry to put it that way but I need to shock you.

Art
    Art

Quote Originally Posted by Art454 View Post
    OH man you need to do something else...move r bed downstairs.....find a different place. You cannot afford to keep doing that.
    If you stop these bad habits and get electric chair it may go away after awhile.
    Honest if you dont you well be in a nursing home.....you want that?
    Sorry to put it that way but I need to shock you.

Art
    Of course I do not want that however, I think that there has to be something other than the black side and the white side of how to solve this problem and I have been trying to figure things out. Sometimes situations can't be helped and you just have to learn to deal with what you have. This is what I am trying to do!

Thank you for your concern!!

Becky
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

I've been dealing with shoulder pain ever since my injury at 27.
    Before sci, I had zero shoulder issues. I'm sure it's due to what was done when my back was opened up to remove my spinal bleed.
    I tend to have bad patches every so often, but the pain is always there, usually very low level though. I do fear for the future having shoulder pain for so long already. Lately I've been having achey crampy hands too, which is a new thing for me.

When you get to the point of shoulder pain and injury that most here are talking about, it is long past time to put away the weights and give up the manual wheelchairs. It is time to pay a lot of attention to gently stretching and maintaining range of motion, maybe using some light resistance stretchy bands, alternating ice and heat. Pushing through the pain doesn't work when your shoulders are shot. I've read a number of posts on this forum over time from those with youthful exuberance, macho, and ignorance who say as much as I'll be dead before I get into a power chair. The trouble is these people won't be dead, but their shoulders will be and they will wish they were dead rather than endure the incredibly disabling, unrelenting, mind numbing pain that worn out shoulders cause.

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    When you get to the point of shoulder pain and injury that most here are talking about, it is long past time to put away the weights and give up the manual wheelchairs. It is time to pay a lot of attention to gently stretching and maintaining range of motion, maybe using some light resistance stretchy bands, alternating ice and heat. Pushing through the pain doesn't work when your shoulders are shot. I've read a number of posts on this forum over time from those with youthful exuberance, macho, and ignorance who say as much as I'll be dead before I get into a power chair. The trouble is these people won't be dead, but their shoulders will be and they will wish they were dead rather than endure the incredibly disabling, unrelenting, mind numbing pain that worn out shoulders cause.

All the best,
    GJ
    I hear what you're saying.............

Is this always necessarily the case? Does noone manage being a paraplegic with full arm use, all their life?

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post

All the best,
    GJ
    Do you put cardio fitness or shoulder fitness first? If I ask my insurance company for a van and power chair now the wouldn't give it to me and it would restrict my activities tremendously.

this is such a difficult issue.........

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Paddon View Post
    Do you put cardio fitness or shoulder fitness first? If I ask my insurance company for a van and power chair now the wouldn't give it to me and it would restrict my activities tremendously.

this is such a difficult issue.........
    I definitely put shoulders first because we need them to maintain any degree of independence. Cardio issues, while important, can be managed in many ways, including a healthy diet and maintaining a healthy weight, but the shoulders, once shot, are a lifetime of pain and limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by bcsimpsons View Post
    Yes Art your right, only 7 years. I think a lot of the reason that they bit the dust so quick was because my house is not adequately accessible. Every night and day I have to get myself up and down 20 stairs atleast once a day. There is not enough room at the top of these stairs to use my chair so I need to just drag myself around when I get up there. The bedrooms are up on this floor. I have tried staying on the main floor and sleeping on the couch but my back hurts so much the next day that I cant do that. It completely sucks!!

Becky
    That totally sucks, Becky. I use to live in a two story home, but I had a lift. It broke down a few times, and I had to crawl up & down. I have arthritis in my shoulders, but celebrex helps immensely. I was diagnosed with arthritis just after three years post injury. Every once in awhile I have to go in a for a cortisone shot. I try to keep those to a minimum.

my shoulders were doin good 9 yrs post til i started trying transferring without my board. i could hop in an out of bed pretty easy but then both shoulders started killing me. i still use my manual chair but i have to take it easy. xrays showed no arthritis, i dipped out on the mri. so i'm assuming i tore something in both shoulders. its been about a year and they're not healing, still awful pain especially when i hold my arms out and lift straight up.