Thread: Recurring UTI's

Recurring UTI's

i m a C6 level quad since 6 yrs...i do IC ding the daytime n keep the catheter inserted with drainage bag attached in the night...
    i want to know for recurring UTI symptoms...wat liquid/juice i should drink that will help avoid UTI's??......
    Does drinking carbonated colas cause UTI's n if yes how??..

I am not a doctor. But for me, before getting some anti-biotics I use D-mannose. It seems to work 90% of the time, keep in mind it supposedly only works on E.coli. I intermittent cath and wash&re-use caths. Other than that, check out the Microcyn threads on this forum. Do a search of "D-Mannose" and "microcyn".

Quote Originally Posted by tejas parmar View Post
    i m a C6 level quad since 6 yrs...i do IC ding the daytime n keep the catheter inserted with drainage bag attached in the night...
    i want to know for recurring UTI symptoms...wat liquid/juice i should drink that will help avoid UTI's??......
    Does drinking carbonated colas cause UTI's n if yes how??..
    Hello "tejas parmar,"
    Welcome the the Care Cure Community.
    The best liquid you can drink to help avoid urinary tract infections (UTI) is "flat" water. Drink 3+ liters a day. To switch things up a bit (water can get boring) drink cranberry and apple juices. I had a urologist who advocated drinking a lot of water and a daily 12 oz beer. Carbonated drinks don't cause UTIs, but they contribute to them. The carbonic acid in carbonated beverages is irritating to the bladder and carbonated drinks (this means carbonated water, as well), and beverages with caffeine cause an alkaline environment in the bladder that is conducive to bacteria growth.

All the best,
    GJ

Water and juices are the best thing to drink to help prevent uti's. Caffeinated beverages (cola, hot chocolate, coffee, tea) irritate the bladder wall, making it more susceptible to infection. Carbonation does the same thing. That is not to say you can not ever have a Coke, just limit it to every now and then.

You don't say how much you cath for. That would be helpful to know. As would how often you cath. Leaving the catheter in over night could be contributing to your problem - it is a breeding ground for bacteria and also is a natural entrance to your bladder - the bacteria can climb right up it and make a home in the bladder.

Hope that this helps.
    CKF