Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are there any vitamins that help any of the nervous systems?

Are there any vitamins that help any of the nervous systems?

Are there any vitamins that help any of the nervous systems?

EM

I believe vitamin B-12 is important for nerves. However, it does not have the ability to promote nerve regeneration on its own. I think when a cure is found it will be important for an SCI person to have a healthy diet with vitamin and mineral supplements. The diet combined with intense physical therapy should be helpful for nerve regeneration and the subsequent recovery of muscle mass. There is a drug they have used on mice that promotes super muscle growth. I think that this drug or other muscle promoting supplements should be given during the period of intense rehab

Joe B

Alpha Lipoic Acid is not a vitamin, but is produced in the body. From what I've read, it helps nerve and muscle growth/repair and also allows your body to better absorb or utilize other nutrients. I don't know much about it but found this recent study in Germany claiming that it actually induced a regeneration of nerves (See excerpt from article below) Other studies are being conducted in the US. Does anyone know if this nutrient would be beneficial to SCI?

{German studies using lipoic acid have shown that the nutrient not only improves diabetic symptoms, but in high doses (6OO mg. per day) may also reverse damage that occurred as a result of the disease. Dr. D. Ziegler at the Heinrich-Heine University in Dusseldorf, Germany, showed that long-term treatment with lipoic acid induced what is known as "sprouting," or the growth of new nerve fibers in a regeneration process. In as few as three weeks a significant reduction in pain and numbness was observed. No adverse side effects of the high dosage were noted.

Analysis of German literature on lipoic acid reveals that in cell cultures, lipoic acid induces a sprouting of neurites in nerve cells. This regeneration process has been attributed to improvement in nerve cell membrane fluidity. Lipoic acid ameliorates the blood flow in nerve tissues, improves glucose utilization in the brain, and improves basal ganglia function. In an exciting 1995 meeting on diabetic neuropathy in Munich, Germany, several European researchers reported the results of clinical studies in which lipoic acid reversed the damage of diabetes to the nerves, heart, and eyes of diabetics. The conference concluded that lipoic acid was the means of choice for the prevention of diabetic complications, including neuropathy, cardiomyopathy, and retinopathy. It should be noted, however, that no diabetic should take lipoic acid without being closely monitored 6y a physician, supplementation may result in a need to reduce insulin or oral antidiabetic drugs}

Good idea Jan. I posted an article that mentioned drugs used to reverse and repair nerve damage from diabetic neuropathy. Thiotic acid (alpha lipoic acid) was suggested. I don't now the dosage or course required to get results though, especially for chronic sci.

ALA

Definitely start taking ALA supplements. They're actually an Omega 3 fatty acid that is crucial for proper nervous system development and function throughout life. It's hard to get in the typical diet today because it's found in fatty fish like salmon and tuna, but nowadays you could get mercury poisoning from eating too much dark tuna and salmon could be from a fish farm.

ALA is also found in walnuts, walnut, flaxseed and canola oil, purslane and spirulina. I started out 4 years ago on fish oil capsules and my menstrual cramps became history as well as leg cramps. Now I take spirulina or flaxseed oil capsules and will grow purslane in the spring. I use walnuts and its oil, too. I'm getting stronger still.

All B vitamins are important and they work together for a sounder nervous system. Vitamin E is also crucial and besides my Spiru-tein meal replacement shake daily with supplements, I eat lots and lots of stirfry veggies in walnut oil, avocadoes that have lots of Vit. E and C, and lots of soy protein (no animal products at all.)

I eat no junk food, trans fatty acids, saturated fats, sugar drinks, white flour products and highly recommend this diet to anyone wanting to keep healthy, get strong and lose weight if needed!

Jan in Nebraska

another thing

I had an incomplete SCI at C3/4 8 years ago and wasn't supposed to walk again. I live on my own and have a morning aide and use a walker, now using 4-AP, too, and cayenne pepper, but not sure if anything but exercise is helping me.

Jan

where to buy Alpha Lipoic Acid.

I was flipping through the channels at 1 A.M and there on the Home shopping Network they were selling ALC.You can either call them at 1-800-284-3100 or on the net at www.hsn.com go to Nuutrion and go through the pages and you will see it.
    I bought a bottle of 360 tablets for $129.00 and $8.95 UPS

Wow Jan, your diet sounds great. I avoid red meat too and get most of my protein from soy products although I still succumb to chocolat every now and then. I used to drink Spirutein but it messed up my program too much. Would you credit ALA for any of the return you've experienced?

Chocolate!

I love chocolate, too, as long as it's not made with added saturated fat and sugar. I bake with cocoa. Chocolate has an antioxidant that prolongs your heart health from an extensive study done by many cardiologists.

What's this ALC? Omega 3 fatty acids are no where near that expensive!!!!! 90 capsules from GNC run me about ten or eleven dollars.

Have they alone been responsible to my recovery? No, but as they are essential to one's overall neurological health, I know they've helped in supplemental form and in my diet.

Jan

Exp Neurol 2002 Feb;173(2):224-234

Neuroprotective Effects of Ginseng Total Saponin and Ginsenosides Rb1 and Rg1 on Spinal Cord Neurons in Vitro.

Liao B, Newmark H, Zhou R.

Laboratory for Cancer Research, Rutgers University, Piscataway, New Jersey, 08854

Spinal cord injury is a major cause of disability and results in many serious physical, psychological, and social difficulties. Numerous studies have shown that traumatic spinal cord injuries (SCI) lead to neuronal loss and axonal degeneration in and around the injury site that cause partial disability or complete paralysis. An important strategy in the treatment of SCI is to promote neuron survival and axon outgrowth, making possible the recovery of neural connections. Using an in vitro survival assay, we have identified ginsenosides Rb1 and Rg1, extracted from ginseng root (Panax ginseng C. A. Meyer), as efficient neuroprotective agents for spinal cord neurons. These compounds protect spinal neurons from excitotoxicity induced by glutamate and kainic acid, as well as oxidative stress induced by H(2)O(2). The neuroprotective effects are dose-dependent. The optimal doses are 20--40 [mu]M for ginsenosides Rb1 and Rg1. The effects are specific for Rb1 and Rg1, since a third ginsenoside, Re, did not exhibit any activity. Ginseng has been used for thousands of years in the treatment of neurological disorders and other diseases in Asia. Ginsenosides Rb1 and Rg1 represent potentially effective therapeutic agents for spinal cord injuries. [copyright]2002 Elsevier Science (USA).