Thread: almost 10 yrs post injury and battling utis and spasticity..

almost 10 yrs post injury and battling utis and spasticity..

im a c5 c6 complete quadriplegic going on 10 years in a chair..

i have been catheterizing with self cath closed bag and betadine..

i have been on and off antibiotics the past year and it seems i cant be uti free i end up at drs office with all symptoms of uti..

my spasticity increases unbearably as well as my burning sensation..

i take neurontin 300mg/4 times a day, baclofen at max 40mg/4 times a day, zanaflex 4mg/4 times a day, and ditropan xl twice a day..

i just waited 6 months to get into urology and just had my appt the other day they gave me syringes and said keep my urine clear, when its not flush my bladder with water, and cath more..

now they say instead of taking so many antibiotics try and heal it naturally..

well heres my question, im trying to make my life easier and im going to be going to school im not always gonna have someone with me at all times, im trying to see what other people are doing and what works for them as far as utis, catheterization, or daily routines that seem to work?

any ideas or help anyone can give me i would greatly appreciate it.. thank you

Try looking at the Microcyn thread in this very forum. You also may want to read the sticky in this forum containing information on the baclofen pump.

I use intermittent kits too but when I was looking at going back to school I would switch to a cath kit that stays in for awhile. Don't want to leave a puddle in class lol
    Andrew

Are you going away to school? If so, are they providing you with any type of home health aid? That might help some....

Generally speaking, using IC is the safest way to manage neurogenic bladder for sci. Irrigating until your urine is clear seems a little non-specific. And you don't want to use water, you want to use saline. I am surprised though that they didn't recommend some type of anti-bacterial irrigant. That may be a question that you could call them with. Renacidin seems to work for some people and microcyn also seems to work.

Have you changed anything in your bladder routine? Are you drinking the same amount and same types of fluids? That may be the key to the change in uti's.

CKF