Thread: Portable tracking system

Portable tracking system

Anyone tried this lift?
    http://bhm-medical.com/en/products.t...sytrack_fs.htm

It looks simple enough to use, doesn't take up any room and is light weight and portable. If anyone has experience with this lift or anything similar to it please post your opinions..

Thank you
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. .(John Wayne)

Have not used this brand, but we have used other free-standing track lift systems for some of our clients. Pretty much all of the track lift companies make a free-standing system. They are OK if you cannot install a ceiling track lift for some reason. Down side is the floor space that this takes, and that you can only use it for one location (and not in the bathroom, living room, etc.) as you can with many other track lift systems.

(KLD)

Thank you for the info, our ceiling won't accommodate A tracking system so I figured this would be the next best thing are there other tracking systems that might be a little better? This particular system looks pretty lightweight so easy enough to move from one room to the next.

Ok just learned these are priced way over what I can afford so guess it's time to look for something else.

Transfer Lift

I'm wondering if anyone has tried this lift called easytracker http://bhm-medical.com/en/products.t...sytrack_fs.htm.. Watching the video it looks pretty simple to operate, however it's not cheap and only has a one year warranty. Out of curiosity if any fellow quads are reading this if you use a transfer lift which one?

NL (my wife) does my transfers from bed to chair and and chair to bed and into the commode chair doing a pivot transfer. She is capable of it, has been doing them for years, I don't weigh a lot, and it is quick and easy. But, there has been a time or two (when she had foot surgeries) and as she ages, we can see the necessity of a lift.

I got the Easy Pivot:
    http://www.randscot.com/page.php?pag...=&three=&four=
    (this is a video) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhkuknCSF6U

We chose this patient lift, because, I prefer not to have the institutional look of a lift device in our bedroom and I don't like to have to struggle to get the sling under me. The easy pivot uses straps rather than a sling.

All the best,
    GJ

Unless you weigh less than 35 lb., pivot transfers are inherently dangerous for the caregiver. This has been shown in a number of recent ergonomic research studies. These injuries are repetitive stress injuries, and the damage is cummulative over time. They are no longer allowed in any rehab center that practices from an evidence based perspective, and also proscribed by OSHA and NIOSH guidelines.

The Easy Pivot works for some, but with a few serious cautions: It can be scary to use, it requires that you are safe to fully weight bear through your legs (what is your bone density??), it requires that you HAVE legs, and you must have good hip ROM. If you ever break a leg and need something to transfer you, or God forbid, have a leg amputation, this lift would not be an option. It addition, you have to be first brought to a sitting position on the edge of the bed (it cannot lift you from a laying down position), and it cannot be used to lift you from the floor if you should fall.

We get lifts for our SCI patients because we value our family (and paid) caregivers and do not want them injured. We also know that if a family member or caregiver gets injured and can no longer do such heavy lifting, this often means institutionalization for our clients.

Most lift companies have free-standing track lifts similar to this. None are cheap, but they can be effective (didn't we just answer this question for you a couple of weeks ago already???...I found it and combined your identical questions into this one thread).

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 03-07-2011 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Unless you weigh less than 35 lb., pivot transfers are inherently dangerous for the caregiver. This has been shown in a number of recent ergonomic research studies. These injuries are repetitive stress injuries, and the damage is cummulative over time. They are no longer allowed in any rehab center that practices from an evidence based perspective, and also proscribed by OSHA and NIOSH guidelines.

The Easy Pivot works for some, but with a few serious cautions: It can be scary to use, it requires that you are safe to fully weight bear through your legs (what is your bone density??), it requires that you HAVE legs, and you must have good hip ROM. If you ever break a leg and need something to transfer you, or God forbid, have a leg amputation, this lift would not be an option. It addition, you have to be first brought to a sitting position on the edge of the bed (it cannot lift you from a laying down position), and it cannot be used to lift you from the floor if you should fall.

We get lifts for our SCI patients because we value our family (and paid) caregivers and do not want them injured. We also know that if a family member or caregiver gets injured and can no longer do such heavy lifting, this often means institutionalization for our clients.

Most lift companies have free-standing track lifts similar to this. None are cheap, but they can be effective (didn't we just answer this question for you a couple of weeks ago already???...I found it and combined your identical questions into this one thread).

(KLD)
    SCI Nurse KLD,
    I stand roundly, soundly, firmly rebuked. But, lessons learned long ago and "bad" habits are hard to break. Twenty eight years ago, pivot transfers were your ticket out of the rehab facility I went to. You weren't released until your caregiver could perform this skill. NL has been doing these transfers for all of these years without incident. Guess we have been very lucky (or very good). I understand your concern.
    All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 03-08-2011 at 10:55 AM.

Lift

I bought one last October due to health issues. Used pivot transfer for 25 years previous. This lift really suprised me. I'm 300lbs and no problems with it!
    Haven't moved it from original spot in bedroom so don't know about portability.

Yes KDL it seems you did, forgive me if my memory isn't as good as it should be..
    ghjn, thanks for the info