Thread: surface EMG scan done at the chiropractor today

surface EMG scan done at the chiropractor today

This morning I visited a new chiropractor b/c I've been feeling out of whack recently & the previous guy I saw wasn't all that impressive to me. As I've gotten used to, most chiros do an initial consult that involves a few spinal scans, xrays, or both.

Here's a quick & dirty cell phone pic of the computer screen after my surface EMG, which basically shows imbalances in muscle activity, which can point to areas of the spine that are off-kilter. This sEMG shows some of the highest spinal stress levels I've seen personally... & I was expecting it, sadly.

The gist of why I use chiropractors is to keep my spine and pelvis in alignment. I sit better that way, and there is truth to the idea of reducing pressure and stress on the nerves, which has other physiological benefits.

My point is that I have a pretty healthy lifestyle, but transfers multiple times per day and stress on the spine without normal muscle support can mess us up.

Last time I had a chiropractic adjustment was about 6 months ago. I'll get adjusted on Friday after I review the report from the chiro I saw today. I doubt I'll post a before/after, as each scan costs me $$ & the effects of treatment are noticeable w/o need for it.

Food for thought.

Does the chiro use this scan to determine where he's going to adjust you?

I was a chiro student at the time of my injury and there was no consensus on the criteria chosen to determine where an adjustment should be given. Though many chiros rely on x-rays (a still controversial use of technology for this purpose), and mark them up to show the misalignments that everyone has, others would palpate the spine from the base of the scull all the way down to determine those vertebral segments that lacked full range of motion. Still others used applied kinesiology techniques, which involve testing muscle resistance while isolating different areas of the spine.

It would be interesting to see what if any research supports the use of sEMG and how it correlates with treatment outcomes. It looks cool, I just wonder what real utility it has. It seems that you have a positive history with chiropractic treatments, so that's good to hear and I'm not cautioning you to reconsider to continue with it. However, I'm saddled with a more jaundiced view of the profession, given that an entire school faculty (and satellite clinic) didn't recognize the red flag symptoms of the AVM that led to my paralysis.

AVM led to your paralysis? While you were a chiropractic student? And they didn't check!?! What school was that?

I didn't know that either Stephen - how awful!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by Van Quad View Post
    AVM led to your paralysis? While you were a chiropractic student? And they didn't check!?! What school was that?
    Northwestern College of Chiropractic (now called Northwestern Health Sciences University). This, of course, was a long time ago -- 1983.

It's a long story, but I was presenting with symptoms that were clearly beyond the scope of practice -- and, apparently, the understanding -- of the collected brain trust at the school. And this was a "medical model" chiropractic college that emphasized the importance of making referrals.

Oh well, it's only life.

I'll reply in detail later... headed out the door. Dang, re: the AVM.

Real quick though: this chiro doc used x-rays (new & previous) + sEMG + palpating my spine to do his initial assessment. He's preparing a written report for me to review with suggestions for treatment, all prior to any adjustments. That's earning him marks of credibility in my book.

I knew there was something up around T3 or T4 based on a protruding part of a vertebrae. The sEMG targeted T4 (& T8) pretty concretely (the black bars). My core muscles occasionally are pulling me to the left, similar to a scoliosis effect. They relax somewhat when I lay down and stretch, but I know something is triggering the muscles. Lastly, the right side of my pelvis is sitting higher than the left... not dramatically, but it's obvious to me.

Point: I know the primary issues going on w/ my body that I want addressed & corrected. I've dealt with chiropractic care before and have had success. I'm just interested in optimal alignment.

My wife is an OT & got flack for letting me see this guy... a Dr. on her unit suggested a neuro eval w/ a CT scan + a MRI + examination for compression. It annoys me to no end that there's tension between medical & chiro. If a few adjustments don't correct the problem(s), then I'll investigate other things. I know I'm a bit twisted (pun intended) at the moment, and that's not difficult to correct... based on previous experience.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Northwestern College of Chiropractic (now called Northwestern Health Sciences University). This, of course, was a long time ago -- 1983.

It's a long story, but I was presenting with symptoms that were clearly beyond the scope of practice -- and, apparently, the understanding -- of the collected brain trust at the school. And this was a "medical model" chiropractic college that emphasized the importance of making referrals.

Oh well, it's only life.
    Shocking that they wouldn't test for AVM at a chiropractic college. Still, medical doctors bury far more of their patients than chiropractors do. Unfortunately for chiropractic, their mistakes are very visible and last for years. Sorry to hear that your dream turned into a nightmare. I knew quite a few chiropractic students from Memorial in Toronto. Bright, bright people.

Yes, I love how the medical establishment says that Chiro's should use the latest diagnostic tools while they do their best to block access to their toys. At who's cost? The patient

Scott your Chiro sounds very careful. That doesn't always translate to great technique. But it's a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    I'll reply in detail later... headed out the door. Dang, re: the AVM.

Real quick though: this chiro doc used x-rays (new & previous) + sEMG + palpating my spine to do his initial assessment. He's preparing a written report for me to review with suggestions for treatment, all prior to any adjustments. That's earning him marks of credibility in my book.

I knew there was something up around T3 or T4 based on a protruding part of a vertebrae. The sEMG targeted T4 (& T8) pretty concretely (the black bars). My core muscles occasionally are pulling me to the left, similar to a scoliosis effect. They relax somewhat when I lay down and stretch, but I know something is triggering the muscles. Lastly, the right side of my pelvis is sitting higher than the left... not dramatically, but it's obvious to me.

Point: I know the primary issues going on w/ my body that I want addressed & corrected. I've dealt with chiropractic care before and have had success. I'm just interested in optimal alignment.

My wife is an OT & got flack for letting me see this guy... a Dr. on her unit suggested a neuro eval w/ a CT scan + a MRI + examination for compression. It annoys me to no end that there's tension between medical & chiro. If a few adjustments don't correct the problem(s), then I'll investigate other things. I know I'm a bit twisted (pun intended) at the moment, and that's not difficult to correct... based on previous experience.

Test for AVMs? They'd never even heard of AVMs.

Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College had (and may still enjoy) a very good reputation. Many of the students at the school I attended were also quite bright, though a great many were also not so bright. The aptitude of its best students notwithstanding, it's still quite easy, however, to poke holes in chiropractic "philosophy." But that's another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Quad View Post

Scott your Chiro sounds very careful. That doesn't always translate to great technique. But it's a good start.
    The same can be said for quality of medical care in other settings.