Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I owe SSA money. $45,000 overpayment! What do I do? Please, any advice would help!!!

No, they never resumed my check. The first waiver I filed was within the 60 day time period, but they sent me a letter (much later) saying that I didn't give them all the info they needed, so I called and they said I could start over and send in all the information again with a new waiver form. After I sent in the paperwork the second time all the notices they had been sending me stopped. I have not received anything since I sent in the paperwork the second time. I thought that was a good sign. I was trying to give them a little time to take care of it(because it obviously takes them a while to process things considering how long it took them to realize I was making "too much"). But now I am not only bummed out about my tax refund, that I REALLY needed, but I'm afraid that they might try to garnish my wages. I will try the things you suggested. Thanks so much for the advice.

An attorney would be helpful. My sister has a friend who had an overpayment of 350K, he's disabled but makes a good living, my sister and others asked why he collects ssdi and he said he put into the system and its his money so he's going to draw it. My sister gathered all his correspondence with Soc security and he presented it to his attorney, he now will not have to pay the full 350K back but its around 80K he'll have to pay back which is alot better than the original amount. Please keep us posted about the outcome, I'm hoping it turns out well for you.

I just managed to get a $20,000+ over payment waived with the help of a benefits counselor at a local agency (independent living resources is what my branch calls itself). Took a lot of paperwork and being proactive. Had a pass plan which fortunately required keeping lots of paperwork that ended early due to having finished it's goals, looking back probably should have questioned that, once it ended I kept mailing in pay stubs each month and assumed all was good. Come to find out the 2 sides of the Asa, ssi & ssdi, don't share info nicely. Even though the ssi portion was making note of my income and was happy the ssdi portion didn't know I was working... Anyway, gotta love government agencies and programs whose rules and paperwork are so confusing their own employees, some of whom are really trying and do care, don't understand them. If you were reporting and filing their paperwork as requested you SHOULD be able to get a waiver, even if they've denied it once. It will take time and persistence on your part but can be done. Appeal their denial again and again. And find someone to help you, especially with a kid you should qualify for extra assistance with this. You just have to be stubborn!
    This too shall pass...

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post
    I have never ever been able to find the answer to what happens after 36 months. Does anyone know?
    i worked halftime for something like 8 yrs and still got an SSDI check due to Work Related Expenses (WRE). perhaps this is something op can check into. i had to report and prove those WRE yearly though. then i went full time and made too much. i reported it and checks stopped quickly. i think i have a good SSA local office, though. the one i had in So Cal wasn't so good.

This is what I found out when you pass the 36 months:

After your 36 month EPE timeline is over, you will need to continue to track your earnings and report these to SSA. They will be evaluating your work activity, earnings, and other work incentives that may be applicable to you. If you are consistently able to earn over SGA following the 36 month EPE timeline, your SSDI eligibility will end.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

I had an overpayment of $7,000 back in 1998. I called them and told them and talked to them about it and they set up a payment plan with me rather than taking my taxes. I paid $50 a month interest free for many years. I actually recently just paid it off. Chances are good that you will at least have to pay a portion of it back.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliecoach View Post

After your 36 month EPE timeline is over, you will need to continue to track your earnings and report these to SSA. They will be evaluating your work activity, earnings, and other work incentives that may be applicable to you. If you are consistently able to earn over SGA following the 36 month EPE timeline, your SSDI eligibility will end.
    yes you get a letter in the mail saying you are no longer considered disabled because you make "substantial" wages. haha ya I remember when I opened this letter after I had been working and off SSDI.

I payed around $2,500 in overpayment.

Wow, and I was getting nervous about the ~$5K I was 'overpaid' before multiple phone calls eventually found someone that could hit the 'stop paying' key on the computer. Seriously...waiting a few years while working and still collecting?

Come to think of it...it's almost rounding up to 10 years they forgot of that overpayment...maybe they'll audit down to the small potatos overpayments and hit me up for it eventually, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliecoach View Post

Even with deductible expenses? I have been doing both for almost 3 years now. Each year I report my tiny raise and we go through the deduction papaerwork and they still send my check. They even increase my benefits ever so slightly because I pay intot he SS system. Next year will be my 36 months after the trial work period was up. I guess I will find out then....
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post
    Even with deductible expenses? I have been doing both for almost 3 years now. Each year I report my tiny raise and we go through the deduction papaerwork and they still send my check. They even increase my benefits ever so slightly because I pay intot he SS system. Next year will be my 36 months after the trial work period was up. I guess I will find out then....
    according to the Redbook, WREs still exist and are deducted from your wages to see if you fall under SGA. they call them IWRE (Impairment Work Related Expenses) now. there is nothing in there stating these don't apply after the EPE. the EPE really just states benefits can be restarted in that 36 month period w/o a new application or new determination of disability. that's how it applied to me and it doesn't look like that's changed.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/redbook/eng/glossary.htm