Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I owe SSA money. $45,000 overpayment! What do I do? Please, any advice would help!!!

voc rehab said that once i start working, for the 1st 9 months, i still get my ss plus my income, regardless of what i make,... after 9 months, if my income is over 1000, then ss stops..if its under, i still get full ss plus salary for next 36 months....i also am currently getting my check plus 2 others in each of my kids names....
    - Rolling Thru Life -

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post
    By the way it usually goes a lot better if you go to the office in person to handle this.
    It has been the opposite for me. Our office here is the reason I am in overpay status now. I was turning in documents to them and they weren't doing their jobs. I got documentation from them everytime I turned stuff in though. The person who ran the office in 2007 is no longer there...LOL I have an amazing paper trail and a nice attorney friend is helping me.

I am owed "ticket to work" monies so it is going to even out eventually but the paperwork is just aggravating
    Last edited by darkeyed_daisy; 02-10-2011 at 12:28 AM.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

ok. somebody tell me how a person gets into 45k debt w/o their knowledge while making 1200/month. max ssdi chk is around 2300/month. do the math. and yeah, add in kid. still, 45k...come on. something wrong here.

ntm, if your kid is under 18 and getting money, you are required to fill out form saying how money is spent or checks go to local ssa office.

obviously, i'm missing something.
    Last edited by cass; 02-10-2011 at 02:08 AM.

Getting overpaid for 2 - 3 years will do it. I have a resident where I work owing 38,000. She only worked part time on SSDI. Took them 3 years to catch it. So many people don't understand the rules or the ridiculous letters they send out. Not to mention when you call in the workers tell you bs and answer the questions incorrectly.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

If you work at all you put yourself in this mess.
    They dangle that carrot saying you can make so and so without losing ssdi.
    My lawyer told me after I got hurt if you work no matter what you make can get you in trouble.
    Sorry but I think you are gona have to pay it back or most of it even if you get a lawyer.

Art
    Art

Everyone should read the red book before they decide to work. If you need help with it you can be assigned someone to help you, however they don't always understand either.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Well, Addiesue and Art454 got it right. Like I said in the first place, I honestly did not know that I shouldn't have been getting it. I made a point to mention my job at every correspondence. I am still only making $1200 a month at my job. They had stopped giving my son money because of the paper that I did fill out telling them what his money was being spent on, that they misplaced and found later. It did not seem unreasonable to me that I should be getting money from them. They were giving me $1200 a month. That's $2400 a month between work and SSA. I don't know what kind of bills everyone else has, but I live in California and you're not living large on $2400 a month. I used to think it was good that we don't have to fill out paperwork every month the way you would on welfare or something, but now I am rethinking that, especially since I'm now hearing about all the other people that have been "overpaid". I realize that I must have overlooked some letter or pamphlet telling me about all this, but I'm obviously not the only one. Like I mentioned before, even one of the agents I talked to at SSA said that she hears about people being "overpaid" and getting billed for it later all the time. They need a different system of dealing with people who work. I don't know how they could do it differently, but what they are doing is obviously not working that well. Wow, I got more criticism then I expected about this thread. I guess I shouldn't be suprised. It's the reason I rarely post. There are a few people on here that are pretty self righteous and quick to judge. It must be nice to be perfect and never make any mistakes of any kind. Anyway, I have filed a waiver twice now. I probably will end up paying it back but I am still trying with the waivers and I am going to make an appointment to go in and talk to someone face to face even though I cringe at the thought of going in there. Thanks for your advice(most of you). If I get any useful info on what to do about this, if anything, I will share it.

Don't worry about the people on here. They are the least of your worries. I come here less than half as much as I used to because of negativity. However it is a good resource and I still like to keep up with a few people here.

You may be able to get out of paying it being a single mom and stating economic hardship. Do you have any expenses you paid back then? Hand controls? Shower chairs? Sometimes the pharmacy can bring up medication expenses. You may need these if you still have receipts. When you go to court (if) this will help. Since you filed the waiver have they resumed your check? It will be frustrating and time consuming, but keep at it.
    I make the same amount of money and draw around the same amount with 2 kids. I had to argue with some idiot at ss that child support was not income. The people on the phone are idiots, you have to keep asking for supervisors. Usually they are out and they won't give you a direct line. If you ever get a letter with an extension number save it. It's the only way anything gets done is to find a direct line in.
    Last year I got a 30 cent raise and they took my check. I was able to come back with some expenses and get it back. I never went into overpayment though because I knew the correct form to report income and I think my office is smaller.

Also I had some larger expenses which can be divided over the year.
    I have helped people through it and it is the biggest nightmare ever. Good luck....

Also try an elder law center. They know a bit about social security or may be able to point you in the right direction for someone to help. I do not think legal aid will help you, but you can try them.

Quote Originally Posted by roc21 View Post
    voc rehab said that once i start working, for the 1st 9 months, i still get my ss plus my income, regardless of what i make,... after 9 months, if my income is over 1000, then ss stops..if its under, i still get full ss plus salary for next 36 months....i also am currently getting my check plus 2 others in each of my kids names....
    I have never ever been able to find the answer to what happens after 36 months. Does anyone know?