Thread: Percocet Vs. Oxycodone HCL

Percocet Vs. Oxycodone HCL

I have been taking Percocet 10/325 for almost 2 years now for a few different reasons. I have disk problems, fibromyalgia, arthritis, RSD and have had numerous knee surgeries. I was taking 2 pills every 5 hours...just so I could walk most days. A few days ago my Dr. switched me to 10 mg Oxycodone HCL and told me that I could take Tylenol in the morning and in the evening for the inflammation. I have been doing just as the Dr. prescribed but the problem that I am having is that the Oxycodone is making me so tired. Within 30 minutes of taking the pills, I cannot hold my eyes open. I didn't have this problem with the Percocet. I was able to function normally and sometimes the Percocet gave me an energy boost. Has anyone else had this problem or can someone tell me why this is happening. Thanks

Damn my post didnt post??weird things happening on this site.
    ill try again

Hmmm?new member? first post. New "bot" getting better at it?
    If not sorry, our site is getting invaded by spam ect. as of late.
    Please do some research. Percs ARE oxycodone with in your case 10mg oxycodone and 325mg "tylenol" in it.
    Drs usually switch you to oxycodone if your gonna be on it long term, as "tylenol" will just mess up your liver more.
    If this is a true story, your Dr, sounds like a nut, for telling you to take tylenol as well IMO, of course.
    ANYWAY, It may be hitting you harder/faster as just oxycodone has less filler ect. for your body to digest. Your body should adjust soon.
    peace
    B
    Has it been five years yet? ..........

Yes..this is my first post and I am new to this forum. I have always read the forum, just never posted on it. Thanks for replying. I was thinking the same about the adjustment time. Dr. said that I could (didn't have to) take tylenol twice a day just to keep the inflammation down. I guess that he also reminded me of that because the Oxycodone has no tylenol in it and in the past he stressed NOT to take it with the Percocet. I hope that my body adjusts soon...if not I may just sleep the rest of my life away! Thanks for the reply again.

K ...glad you joined. lots of info here from people much smarter than I. I would say try lowering your dosage and see if you can deal with the pain. Then maybe increase it gradually if you cant. No reason to sleep your life away.
    Peace
    Baron

I know that this may sound crazy...but the Oxycodone doesn't seem to be helping the pain as well as the Percocet did. It's only been a week since the switch. I'll give it another few days, then I may call the Dr. and ask. I definitely don't wanna sleep all the dam time!
    Thanks Again,
    Nicole

Doesnt sound crazy. Everyone is different.Acetaminophen (tylenol)and oxycodone work synergistically. Soooo. yea so. lol
    hope you find what works for ya
    peace
    B

Baron is right on. The active ingredient is oxycodone in Percocet. Acetametaphine is the 325mg to the 10mg of oxy. Oycotin is the time release form of oxcodone. The liver can't take all that acetametaphin without harm. Sounds like you have some swelling that is affecting you, perhaps swelling into a nerve root. Ibuprophen, Advil, is sometime good for this. I agree with Baron, you PM doc must be unfocused or you misunderstood. It just doesn't make good sense. I have found that if you fight the sleepiness with some activity, nothing too strenuous, it will go away and actually give you focus on what your doing, thus relieving the pain. Kind of a matter of misdirection. Cold compresses are sometimes good to reduce the pain, although not as comfortable as wet heat. As for the posting, it's always a good idea to copy your post before you click the button. Sometime, you get logged out and lose everything you wrote.

Good luck and keep fighting!
    No matter how cynical I try to be, I just can't seem to keep up with how bad things really are!

Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida/Mantoloking NJ
    Quote Originally Posted by barondidit;1319901[B
    ]Doesnt sound crazy. Everyone is different.[/B]Acetaminophen (tylenol)and oxycodone work synergistically. Soooo. yea so. lol
    hope you find what works for ya
    peace
    B
    Amen to that brother.
    What works for me may kill another. Finding the balance is tough.

Be Big,
    AMAC
    L4/L5 CES

www.DRAFT.cc
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1024602574

Messages from Alan Maccini and are produced utilizing voice recognition software. As a result of this on occasion a misrecognition of a word will occur and while spelled correctly will result in an unintended word appearing. We apologize for any errors.

Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida/Mantoloking NJ
    baron,

Amen to that brother.

Be Big,
    AMAC
    L4/L5 CES

www.DRAFT.cc
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1024602574

Messages from Alan Maccini and are produced utilizing voice recognition software. As a result of this on occasion a misrecognition of a word will occur and while spelled correctly will result in an unintended word appearing. We apologize for any errors.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
    baron,

Amen to that brother.

Be Big,
    AMAC
    very true and swim recommends you talk with your Dr.