Thread: Need some programing help

Need some programing help

Hello, Im making website for a friend and there are few things i dont know how to do. Its my third website so im very new at this, no knowledge of any kind of programing but i can copy and paste.

1. I want to know how to add a news letter sign up thing for free, the site was purchased on godaddy.com with free/basic hosting.

2. I also would like to know how to add a shopping card, so when ever a person adds things in it will calculate all the items and the finale value to go through paypal.

Like i said if possible for free. ohh and the site im working on is http://www.rochesteraquarium.com/ thanks for you time.
    c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

whats that smell? its me, cause im the shit.

если я сейчас умру то нахуй я родился

Quote Originally Posted by russianboss View Post
    Hello, Im making website for a friend and there are few things i dont know how to do. Its my third website so im very new at this, no knowledge of any kind of programing but i can copy and paste.

1. I want to know how to add a news letter sign up thing for free, the site was purchased on godaddy.com with free/basic hosting.

2. I also would like to know how to add a shopping card, so when ever a person adds things in it will calculate all the items and the finale value to go through paypal.

Like i said if possible for free. ohh and the site im working on is http://www.rochesteraquarium.com/ thanks for you time.
    You won't be able to do a shopping cart without some sort of programming. I prefer PHP, you can google "php shopping cart" for tons of copy/paste code. As for the newsletter, here is a simple php page that will insert someones email into a mysql database:

Code:
    <?php
    $fname = "null";
    if (isset($_POST['fname_tb'])) {
            $fname = $_POST['fname_tb'];
    }
    $lname = "null";
    if (isset($_POST['lname_tb'])) {
            $lname = $_POST['lname_tb'];
    }
    $email = "null";
    if (isset($_POST['email_tb'])) {
            $email = $_POST['email_tb'];
    }
    $org = "null";
    if (isset($_POST['org_tb'])) {
            $org = $_POST['org_tb'];
    }
    // To protect MySQL injection                                                                                   
    $fname = stripslashes($fname);
    $lname = stripslashes($lname);
    $org   = stripslashes($org);
    $email = stripslashes($email);
    // maybe move to a globals include                                                                              
    $host="127.0.0.1"; // Host name                                                                              
    $username="username"; // Mysql username                                                                         
    $password="password"; // Mysql password                                                                      
    $db_name="dbname"; // Database name                                                                           
    $tbl_name="tablename"; // Table name                                                                              

// connect to mysql                                                                                             
    mysql_pconnect($host, $username, $password)or die("cannot connect");
    mysql_select_db("$db_name")or die("cannot select DB");

$fname = mysql_real_escape_string($fname);
    $lname = mysql_real_escape_string($lname);
    $org   = mysql_real_escape_string($org);
    $email = mysql_real_escape_string($email);

$sql="INSERT INTO $tbl_name (fname,lname,org,email) VALUES ('$fname','$lname','$org','$email')";
    $result=mysql_query($sql);

header('Location: ../html/thank_you.php');

?>

like i said im a new at this, but i will look into asp. i guess i have to check into php. thanks for your input
    c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

whats that smell? its me, cause im the shit.

если я сейчас умру то нахуй я родился

Quote Originally Posted by russianboss View Post
    like i said im a new at this, but i will look into asp. i guess i have to check into php. thanks for your input
    ASP hosted servers are more expensive than ones with LAMP (linux/apache/mysql/php) You can get a hosted VM for 10 bucks a months with linux, windows... much more expensive.

Don't know if it meets your requirements but Google Checkout is a free shopping cart and is easy to setup.

Also Yahoo store has a shopping cart feature, but they cost $99.95 per month plus transactions.

Cashie offers an integrated shopping cart, I think it's integrated with PayPal. It's free, but they take a percent of the transaction.

School management software: http://www.thinkwave.com/school-mana...-software.html

For a newsletter script, here's a list of some php scripts: http://www.hotscripts.com/category/p...list-managers/
    Last edited by ip; 02-14-2011 at 07:54 PM.

Seem like the code above need to have database in mysql ,, did you setup database yet?

If you have not yet resolved your question I will be glad to help. I do mostly wordpress and I am right no setting up another website for ecommerce. You can set up wordpress therough fantastico and your CPANEL then use the WPcommerce plugin to complete what you want to do. I will post the link pf my blog post that shows all my websites for example if you want.

With godaddy basic hosting it doesn't look like he has cpanel. He can setup Zencart though which is free ecommerce software and can be setup to use paypal.