Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Lost Feeling In My Fingers Overnight???

I Lost Feeling In My Fingers Overnight???

Is this possible? I went too sleep last night feeling fine, when I woke up today my fingers felt numb, like they were asleep, but now here I am, 3 hours later and no change. I am a C5-6 Quad for 19 years. I didn't think a cyst worked that fast. I guess I need to see Dr.Green!

Are your fingers numb on both sides or just one side. If they are numb on both, it would suggest a problem with your spinal cord. However, if it is only one side, a peripheral nerve compression can explain the symptoms. You should go get it checked out as soon as possible.

Wise.

fingers

My thumb and two first fingers on my one hand felt like they were asleep when I woke up this morning, and stayed that way for hours. Now they seem to have more feeling back, but there is something wrong, I still feel a tingling in them. The feeling is not normal like it was. I did twist my neck in bed last night that caused a little pain in my neck, but I'm still worried that I may be losing some of the return I got 14 years ago. I can still tell hot or cold and feel different surfaces. I am bummed!

Your description indicates that you have compressed your radial nerve on one side. It is possible that the compression is occurring at a root level but it is more likely that it is a result of compression of a more peripheral part of the nerve. This can be diagnosed definitely with a careful neurological examination and confirmed electrophysiologically. You should get yourself examined by a neurologist, neurosurgeon, or physiatrist. If it appears to be at the root or spinal cord level, you need to get an MRI.

Wise.

Both hands seems to be burning now. The pain I had in my neck was the right side but the problem started with my left hand. I have an appointment for the 15th of Jan, but I am going to insisted they move it up. Also I have four rings of wire in my spinal fusion, the MRI's they took 9 years ago didn't turn out to well, is there anything they can do now, other than MRI.

Hi Norm,
    If I were you, I would go to the emergency room and try to get an MRI done, now. I believe that there is a way to get a good view even with the metal in your neck. Good luck Norm.
    -bob

RDF,I haven't lost any movement, The feeling is back, its just a slight burning pain, I can deal with it. The ER is a nightmare at this time of the year in South FLorida. I'll just have to wait until next week. Thanx

Did you take any new medication? Some can cause the side effect of paresthesia (numbness in extremities.)

And if it is on one side quit leaning on that elbow. Although normally the elbow smashing tends to effect the 3 smaller fingers.

The burning pain is gone, but I have tingling & decreased sensitivity in small spots on my thumb, first & second finger, on the left hand only. But not as bad as the first day. After New Years I'm to get every test I need, to make sure this is not a cyst. I'm not sure if I should go right to Dr. Barth Green in Miami, or my Doctor who has treated me for the last few years and works at Pinecrest Rehab in Delray Beach FL. Any suggestions Dr. Young?
    Thanx everyone for your help.