Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Improvement over last 17 years post SCI Injury

Improvement over last 17 years post SCI Injury

Hi I was diagnosed with Post – Traumatic Paraplegia Injury level D10, D11, and D12 dislocation of Vertebra. My Injury is complete. At the time of operation steal plates were inserted at the injury level along with 8 nut bolts, I had lost sensation from waist downwards. After operation Slowly and Studiedly improvement started in me. I have regain sensation up to knee in both legs. I can feel hot n cold water on my legs up to knee. I walk with help of calipers n walker. One myth that in case of complete Injury there is no improvement below injury level has been busted by my improvement. I have few questions for everyone here if you could answer. Want to know your improvement.
    1. I want to know how many people over here have achieved any improvement below the injury level, post injury in last 10 to 15 years.
    2. When I have regained sensation up till knee now. Why am I not able to regain sensation below knee in both legs?
    3. I am waiting last 17 years and now my patients are getting over. Don’t wish to wait another 17 years for rest of the improvement. Dr. Wise Young is there any solution in stemcell, which can speed my recovery n give some hope of walking again like before.
    Dr. Wise Young can you include me in SCI Net India? For stem cell treatment.

I would also love to be the part of trials in India.

Will u include patients having lumbosacral injuries like me Dr Young?

Quote Originally Posted by Krish View Post
    Hi I was diagnosed with Post – Traumatic Paraplegia Injury level D10, D11, and D12 dislocation of Vertebra. My Injury is complete. At the time of operation steal plates were inserted at the injury level along with 8 nut bolts, I had lost sensation from waist downwards. After operation Slowly and Studiedly improvement started in me. I have regain sensation up to knee in both legs. I can feel hot n cold water on my legs up to knee. I walk with help of calipers n walker. One myth that in case of complete Injury there is no improvement below injury level has been busted by my improvement. I have few questions for everyone here if you could answer. Want to know your improvement.
    1. I want to know how many people over here have achieved any improvement below the injury level, post injury in last 10 to 15 years.
    2. When I have regained sensation up till knee now. Why am I not able to regain sensation below knee in both legs?
    3. I am waiting last 17 years and now my patients are getting over. Don’t wish to wait another 17 years for rest of the improvement. Dr. Wise Young is there any solution in stemcell, which can speed my recovery n give some hope of walking again like before.
    Dr. Wise Young can you include me in SCI Net India? For stem cell treatment.
    Krish,

Thank you for posting. I agree with you about the myth that people with spinal cord injury don't recover.

I don't know why you are not recovering sensation below the knees. I know many walking quads and walking paras who also have not recovered sensation below the knees. Christopher Reeve recovered sensation in the rest of his body but not below his knees.

Whether you will be eligible for SCINetIndia will not be up to me. On Feb 17-19, we are convening potential principal investigators in Mumbai at the Academia Eurasiana Neurochirugica meeting at the Taj Mahal Palace hotel to discuss the trials.

It won't be another 17 years.

Wise.

I'm 38 yrs. post, I consider that I still get improvement. It's not that the cord is all of a sudden healing; it's that I work very hard to maintain physically and emotionally. I work with a very innovative trainer at the gym and my own routine at home. It's more of a matter of working those finite core muscles that we have difficulty exercizing on our own.

I also know a 79 yr. old man, 9 yrs. post injury. When he was first injured he could only raise his right arm. Now he is completly independent living on his own and can walk, shuffle, in the pool. He's an ex- marine, I know there is no ex in marine, and does the work to maximize his potential.

It's a matter of working the muscle groups that are functional and more important, working those that aren't; in any way you can.

Hi All,
    I am now 7 & 1/2 yrs post injury now and i have been visiting this care cure forum for the last 5 yrs. Finally am lossing patience and I have decided to try autologous stem cell injection and planning to go to B'lore next month for the same. If it gives any improvement, that will be great and if it does not, i will be any way waiting for the next 5/7 yrs for some better treatment.

The pace at which the various clinical trials are progressing, i don't see any good combination therapy getting approved in next 4/5 yrs at least. So let's see.

~ Rabindra

keep us updated rabin ! where r u going in bangalore. do let me know the name of the doc.

Dr. Vaquero will start trials in June. If I were you I will still hold on a while.

Quote Originally Posted by KIM View Post
    Dr. Vaquero will start trials in June.
    its a good news
    this will encourage ppl to donate

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    I'm 38 yrs. post, I consider that I still get improvement. It's not that the cord is all of a sudden healing; it's that I work very hard to maintain physically and emotionally. I work with a very innovative trainer at the gym and my own routine at home. It's more of a matter of working those finite core muscles that we have difficulty exercizing on our own.

I also know a 79 yr. old man, 9 yrs. post injury. When he was first injured he could only raise his right arm. Now he is completly independent living on his own and can walk, shuffle, in the pool. He's an ex- marine, I know there is no ex in marine, and does the work to maximize his potential.

It's a matter of working the muscle groups that are functional and more important, working those that aren't; in any way you can.
    This is not unique; rare but it does happen. The key to using this methodology is to know that it exists! That is something you are just not told in rehab. Everyone leaving should be aware of their nearest practitioner.
    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

what type of practitioner should one look for?

I would like to know more about these innovative practitioners who are able to reach places that other therapists can't. Can you tell me more about them? Are you talking about people like the guy in Russia (sorry, can't remember his name) who has had success getting people to walk by soliciting tiny, ignored muscle groups?