Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: valium?

valium?

what the safe limit with valium took 65 mg last night. been on and off it for ever...

You must have built up tremendous tolerance to diazepams to be able to take 65 mg and continue to breathe. Have you talked this over with your doc who prescribes it? If you stopped taking it, you could go into life-threatening withdrawals. Do you take 65 mg every day?

I have a prescription for 0.5 mg to be used when I experience severe shoulder muscle pain and spasms. That dosage puts me down for the count for the night.

Do you take this amount of valium all at one time?... parceled out through the day and night?...are you able to function with a clear head during your waking hours? I agree with "Arndog." Maybe it is time for a review of this medication with your physician.

All the best,
    GJ

Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida/Mantoloking NJ
    Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    You must have built up tremendous tolerance to diazepams to be able to take 65 mg and continue to breathe. Have you talked this over with your doc who prescribes it? If you stopped taking it, you could go into life-threatening withdrawals. Do you take 65 mg every day?
    I agree.

I have used Valium/Diazepans for many years and 65 mg is absured . I use 5-10mg a day as needed.

I think you said "last night", that's scary

As arndog said those can be lethal doses. Your playing a dangerous game.
    I'm also interested who would prescribe those doses.

Be Big,
    AMAC
    L4/L5 CES

www.DRAFT.cc
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1024602574

Messages from Alan Maccini and are produced utilizing voice recognition software. As a result of this on occasion a misrecognition of a word will occur and while spelled correctly will result in an unintended word appearing. We apologize for any errors.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    I have a prescription for 0.5 mg to be used when I experience severe shoulder muscle pain and spasms. That dosage puts me down for the count for the night.

Do you take this amount of valium all at one time?... parceled out through the day and night?...are you able to function with a clear head during your waking hours? I agree with "Arndog." Maybe it is time for a review of this medication with your physician.

All the best,
    GJ
    you sure they make .5 mg? surely that was a typo for 5 mg. i've had 5 mg pills for yrs. do little. i believe valium/diazepam comes in 50 mg pills. as i said in other thread, op i know IRL and he's been dealing w/disability his whole life.

no, dowd, listen to your body. did it help?

i got on care cure tonight to read up on Valium (i just began taking the generic today) 2mg tabs, I broke the two pills i have taken so far in half and am feeling very nauseous. I have NEVER felt sick after any meds. Have been on zanax for 4 years, but after coming to this site and rummaging through all the meds, i called my pharmacist and asked if he thought it would be a good idea to go off the zanax and begin valium, i talked it over with my MD and he prescribed them. I am going to have to go back in the morning and tell him how sick these are making me.
    I about choked when i read of the other person taking 65mg.
    If 1 mg is making me sick and groggy, i can't imagine that dose. I would think you would be comatose within 10 minutes!!
    I read the paperwork that came with mine and it said not to eat it with grapefruit.
    Geez, i eat a lot of grapefruit normally, this is such a bummer.
    Any suggestions about this nausea? and tell me they are being overly cautious about NO grapefruit ):

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    you sure they make .5 mg? surely that was a typo for 5 mg. i've had 5 mg pills for yrs. do little. i believe valium/diazepam comes in 50 mg pills. as i said in other thread, op i know IRL and he's been dealing w/disability his whole life.

no, dowd, listen to your body. did it help?
    I don't have brand name Valium. I have a generic Lorazepam, and as I type, I am looking at the label on the bottle and it reads Lorazempam 0.5 mg.

Please understand that I am not being flip in my comments about intervention (in another thread that ABU posted at the same time he posted this one). I am concerned for ABU's well being because he is obviously concerned or he would not have asked the question. I hope he can find relief and cessation of pain in forms that are safe form him.

All the best,
    GJ

Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida/Mantoloking NJ
    Both Valium and diazepam are available in the following doses:

They come in 2, 5, and 10 mg tablets; 5mg/ml solution; 5mg/ml injection; 2.5, 10, and 20 mg rectal gel.

When we're talking about Valium and Xanax we are really talking about two completely different classes of drugs.

Xanax achieves its purpose by working through the brain whereas Valium works directly on the central nervous system. This is one of the reasons Valium has become popular for muscle spasms, pain etc. it goes to work directly at the nerves.

It becomes a matter of whether you are using the Valium as an antidepressant or an addition to a pain management regimen.

Side effects vary from person to person as they do with most other drugs. Personally I've had no problem with Valium but know others that were not able to tolerate the drugs for a variety of reasons. This is really no different than any other drug.

When prescribing Valium most doctors will prescribe somewhere between 5 mg or 10 mg three or four times a day.

It frightens me when I hear about a single dosage of 65 mg. That is a dangerous game.

I've always been a big believer in patients rights and "whatever gets you through the night" when it comes to pain management and some sort of decent quality of life.

But what I hear about the above doses I worry for patient because there are doctors doing him an injustice that could be fatal.

Be Big,
    AMAC
    L4/L5 CES

www.DRAFT.cc
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1024602574

Messages from Alan Maccini and are produced utilizing voice recognition software. As a result of this on occasion a misrecognition of a word will occur and while spelled correctly will result in an unintended word appearing. We apologize for any errors.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    I don't have brand name Valium. I have a generic Lorazepam, and as I type, I am looking at the label on the bottle and it reads Lorazempam 0.5 mg.
    Lorazepam is Ativan, not Valium.

I have 5 mg which is more than enough for me. I sometimes feel sluggish the next day after taking it. I can't imagine what 65 mg would do. I would definetly talk to your dr.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994