Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ADA and parking - question

Sounds like a bunch of crap! Those fools need to park with everyone else!

Sounds like the personal touch to that sign is just as "legal" as the others!

Thanks for the comments and questions. To clarify a bit more, this is a public university with state and federal funding. The parking lot is in the front of the main campus building, and was only built last year. The ramp into the building and curb cuts to the adjacent library and bookstore all lead out of this parking lot. There is another huge parking lot at the back of the main building (with a few handicap spaces), and a handicap entrance at the back. However, getting to the back parking lot from this building requires navigating a very, very steep hill. I can't do it in my chair. I can get halfway up there and then feel as though I'll tip over backwards. I haven't met anyone else on campus yet who can get up the hill in a chair. Coming down it is an absolutely terrifying prospect! The only other way to get to the back parking lot is out through the front door, across the front parking lot, up a road with no sidewalk for about a quarter of mile, then a turn into the back lot. Great exercise in the summer, but bloody awful in the winter. One of the reasons for the new construction and handicap parking lot in the front was because they realized that people with physical limitations simply couldn't manage the hill (especially in the ice and snow).
    I do love the idea, though, of pasting my own name over the sign and reserving the space for me. I'd really like to see the reaction. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Julie

I would handle this in one of two ways.

1. (The polite way) call campus security, point out the signs, and ask if it is legitimate, and if they say yes, ask administration. If both say yes, proceed to #2

2. Snap a picture (better yet, have your husband snap a picture of you next to the cars in the unpleasant weather), and send it to your local media outlets, and shame them in to doing the right thing.

Even if they have enough parking for ADA requirements, that is a PR nightmare waiting to happen.

I have done a quick internet search "restricted handicapped parking." Most of the hits were rules and regulations promulgated by colleges and universities. Many of these institutions require state placards AND placards or permits issued by the institution. At Penn State, there are signs that indicate that specific handicapped parking spaces are permanently reserved for the sole use of handicapped vehicles bear "xxx.xx" permits. Western Kentucky University has a two tier system for handicapped parking with specific regulations and restrictions based on your tier classification for disability parking. At the University of Nevada, you must buy a handicapped parking permit in addition to having the state issued license or placard. Handicapped visitors to the campus are required to purchase the proper amount of time at meters placed next to the accessible space. Faculty, staff, and students displaying both a state-issued handicap placard and a university handicap permit are not required to place money in the meters.

From this very cursory look at how colleges and universities handle handicapped parking on their campuses, they appear to get away with doing a lot that would not be tolerated in the community at large. I tried to search ADA documentation for rules about restricting use of handicapped parking spaces and didn't find much except for instances of restricting use to residents in privately owned condo and apartment complexes.

There is a medical building in my community that has a physical therapy practice in it. There are a number of handicapped parking spaces, but there are signs painted on the pavement restricting use of many of the spaces to patients visiting the physical therapy office. In another medical building there is an office where dialysis is done, and a few of the handicapped parking spaces provided have signs painted on the pavement, "For Use of Dialysis Patients Only."

GJ

RESERVED FOR THE ACCOUNTING CLUB

If you read the ADA's official list of acknowleged forms of Disability, I think you will find that being a member of the Accounting Club is already on that list. I don't see the problem at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    It is a private university or one funded from state monies? I think if it is private they are not obligated.
    Not so. All facilities serving the public except churches are covered by the ADA. You are thinking Rehab Act of 73 requirements Eileen.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

jck77,
    I would check to see if they have a disability services office and try to get some info about the situation from them before I went to the media.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    Not so. All facilities serving the public except churches are covered by the ADA. You are thinking Rehab Act of 73 requirements Eileen.
    Whoops.......dating myself there!

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    is there really anything to specify the handicap spots have to be in the front? there is suppose to be so many as compared to regular parking spots, but i can't say i've ever read where the spots have to be. sometimes i wish they were far away so they'd actually be available spots to use.
    Yes, parking spots are to be on the "shortest accessible route of travel to an accessible entrance":

4.6.2 Location. Accessible parking spaces serving a particular building shall be located on the shortest accessible route of travel from adjacent parking to an accessible entrance. In parking facilities that do not serve a particular building, accessible parking shall be located on the shortest accessible route of travel to an accessible pedestrian entrance of the parking facility. In buildings with multiple accessible entrances with adjacent parking, accessible parking spaces shall be dispersed and located closest to the accessible entrances.
    http://www.access-board.gov/adaag/html/adaag.htm#4.6