Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 219

Thread: Rick Hansen doesn't dream to cure SCI

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by KiranA View Post
    I'm tired of everyone ragging on the work done through the Rick Hansen Institute. What that one man has done for bringing awareness about the MANY issues faced by people with disabilities is incredible. Because of him, I am able to get around most Canadian cities, because our curbs are cut, our major buildings have elevators, and bathrooms are fully accessible.

    My daily life has been profoundly impacted by this man. Because you guys are not Canadian, perhaps you haven't had the opportunity to witness the work of this man firsthand. I can appreciate your frustrations, but at the same time, you need to understand that as much as it would be nice to get my legs back, it's not going to happen in the immediate future, and I'll be damned if I'm forced to sit at home and wait because I can't get around my city.

    Take your protest elsewhere.
    Hell Yeah Kiran! As a recent visitor to your area--I would have to agree with you! I support Rick Hansen..if you don't, rather than protest, why not put your effort into starting your own foundation!
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Edmonton Alberta
    Posts
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by sherocksandsherolls View Post
    Hell Yeah Kiran! As a recent visitor to your area--I would have to agree with you! I support Rick Hansen..if you don't, rather than protest, why not put your effort into starting your own foundation!
    Because that would require effort and work..It's much easier being a critic than actually doing something. That's what 98% of the people in the world are..
    ---------
    C5-6 / '88

  3. #23
    Senior Member Foolish Old's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Florida Keys
    Posts
    16,412
    One of the barriers to funding a cure is the number of vocal zealots who bite at the ankles of people they should be applauding. I've seen any number of posts on these boards ragging on folks who actually do stuff to help us get out from under our disabilities. "WHY don't they do it the way I want them to?" BECAUSE they follow their own vision. I'm pretty sure they won't stand in the way of you following YOURS.

    With all due respect, STFU and SHOW them how they should be doing it. ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS! When you get successful enough at whatever it is you want to contribute, everyone will call you and ask your advice.

    I do understand your frustrations dealing with paralysis. I have some knowledge of the challenges each day brings. But please look inward as to what needs to be done. And then do it.
    Foolish

    "We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

    "Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

  4. #24
    Cure Shmure, I'd like to see more research on aging with a SCI. I've known Rick since he was 15 and still consider him a valued lifelong friend. He's doing great in my books. Sounds just like him to go and visit new injuries. He always did and I'm sure, always will. He was trained by the best, Stan Stronge.

  5. #25
    This is quickly turning into a Care Vs Cure debate again. Which is just a waste of time and energy.

    I think the general context of the thread is that RHI could share their cake out more evenly between Care and Cure projects. I love an accessible loo and restaurant as much as the next SCI'd fella but I would sleep better at night knowing that there was some balance when sharing out the cake. And we have to admit, it is a pretty big cake compared to some of the crumbs we see in foundations in Europe!

    I did notice that the funding policy seems to be restricted to Canadian-based science only. I wonder whether it would be prudent for their board to consider funding global research projects? Spinal Research UK do this. We cannot be too arrogant to deny that that this can only be solved through global collaboration.

    On a side note, I think I have mentioned this many times before on this forum - the boards of organisations such as these need regular shake-ups to remain agile to the changing environment!

    Why is it politically incorrect to question the direction of funding of SCI organisations and also whether they are changing with the times?

    Fly Pelican Fly

  6. #26
    It is interesting how people assume I don't give a damn about accessibilty...

    Don't you think I have all the same problems about accessibity all SCI people face in small & big cities? BTW I travel rather far & rather often.

    It is also interesting how so many have missed my point. I guess I didn't express my point very well... for the moment I can't find better words. Sorry about that...
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Reed-edm View Post
    Because that would require effort and work..It's much easier being a critic than actually doing something. That's what 98% of the people in the world are..
    Reed....

    you assume too much.... you should investigate a bit before posting...

    .....the bad guys of Edmonton are my friends LOL;-)
    Last edited by paolocipolla; 02-03-2011 at 06:53 PM.
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    I read the following on Rick Hansen Foundation web site:

    "RICK HANSEN HAD A DREAM. HIS JOURNEY CONTINUES... »

    Twenty five years following his legendary Man In Motion World Tour, Rick Hansen’s journey to realize his dream of a world inclusive and accessible to all, continues.


    It's time we protest seriously in my opinion.

    Paolo
    Paolo, your words were clear and brought about exactly the response that was warrented..encouraging the "protest" of the work of Rick Hansen as it does not meet your specified agenda exactly as you would see it played out is arrogant, not constructive..his foundation is his work and those of many others..and it is not funded by your tax dollars I assume so you have no right to "protest" imo..I mean sure, comment that you would like to see more research etc, but you went too far..
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by sherocksandsherolls View Post
    Paolo, your words were clear and brought about exactly the response that was warrented..encouraging the "protest" of the work of Rick Hansen as it does not meet your specified agenda exactly as you would see it played out is arrogant, not constructive..his foundation is his work and those of many others..and it is not funded by your tax dollars I assume so you have no right to "protest" imo..I mean sure, comment that you would like to see more research etc, but you went too far..
    ...mmm... I am afraid you are wrong here as I didn't want to sound arrogant and also actually I wanted to be constructive.
    I have just expressed my opinion on what I read on RHF web.

    So you confirm me that I didn't express my thinking properly.

    My apologies for that.

    Are you aware of the change in policy RHF has done a few years ago? They totally changed the directions of spending their money toward care after a "questionable"-in my opinion- survey.
    As I know they didn't state that with a clear press release or something like that, which, in my opinion, would have been due for proper transparency with donors.

    I also guess, (but that is just my guess) they felt screwed up by some researchers that got a lot of money from them.
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

  10. #30
    Ok I see your point now..sorry about any apparent hostility.

    Yes, if you mean donors should protest.if they feel they were mislead...that makes more sense now.

    I am glad you made the history of your complaint more "transparent".
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-03-2009, 11:24 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-21-2002, 09:56 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-19-2002, 08:37 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-12-2002, 12:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •