Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Boyfriend now a c6 quadriplegic

Normally I'm a lurker around here. I don't really post but your story caught my eye. I'm a C5,6,7 complete quad about 7 years out from my accident.

Tell him not to give up hope. It's great that he regained his triceps! That's huge! He may continue to regain more functions or he might not. And somethings may even be regained years down the road. I'm 7 years out and just recently discovered I have some limited control over my lower back. It's really hard to say what will happen. So don't give up.

Also, even if he doesn't regain control over certain things or regains minimal control, it doesn't automatically mean he can't do things he once loved to do. He may have to find a different way to do them, but he can still enjoy it. I've been drawing for as long as I can remember. When I got into my accident I lost the use of my fingers on my right hand completely (I was right handed) and my fingers on my left only twitch. My wrists and forearms have no power in them, which is what you typically rely on to draw. I didn't think I'd ever hold a pencil again, but I am. I use my left hand to hold the pencil and my triceps and shoulders to actually draw. I'm now an animation major in college and currently working on a professional film.

So plz don't let him or yourself give up. This life is hard, no doubt about it, but it's well worth fighting for. Best of luck to both of you!
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own." -Adam/Mythbusters

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
    With triceps, he will be able to do a lot, like eventually transfer to a car or bed unaided and push a manual chair without projection handles.

Is his injury complete or incomplete?
    yes we are really excited about his triceps and what he can do with them! Unfortunately his injury is complete

Quote Originally Posted by RoboPixie View Post
    Normally I'm a lurker around here. I don't really post but your story caught my eye. I'm a C5,6,7 complete quad about 7 years out from my accident.

Tell him not to give up hope. It's great that he regained his triceps! That's huge! He may continue to regain more functions or he might not. And somethings may even be regained years down the road. I'm 7 years out and just recently discovered I have some limited control over my lower back. It's really hard to say what will happen. So don't give up.

Also, even if he doesn't regain control over certain things or regains minimal control, it doesn't automatically mean he can't do things he once loved to do. He may have to find a different way to do them, but he can still enjoy it. I've been drawing for as long as I can remember. When I got into my accident I lost the use of my fingers on my right hand completely (I was right handed) and my fingers on my left only twitch. My wrists and forearms have no power in them, which is what you typically rely on to draw. I didn't think I'd ever hold a pencil again, but I am. I use my left hand to hold the pencil and my triceps and shoulders to actually draw. I'm now an animation major in college and currently working on a professional film.

So plz don't let him or yourself give up. This life is hard, no doubt about it, but it's well worth fighting for. Best of luck to both of you!
    We wont give up...thanks a lot!! This was really inspiring!! I would luv to see some of your work

Quote Originally Posted by jca View Post
    Unfortunately his injury is complete
    This could change! He is not even a month post, if I remember correctly.....

Becky
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

Best advice I got in the hospital was not to do anything for my husband that he could do for himself -- even if it took him 20 times as long to do it for himself.

It's so easy & seems so natural to "help" but every time I did, I was reinforcing the news that he was dependent and helpless. He wasn't, and now 10 years later he's definitely not.

Like your friend, he had a dire diagnosis at first. He was lucky (if you can call getting paralyzed lucky at all) and ended up with lots more return than they predicted. One thing that helped me was to keep a journal every day. When things seemed hopeless and grim, I'd look back a few weeks and every time, whatever I had been worrying about was no longer an issue.

Good thoughts to you both ~~

Quote Originally Posted by jca View Post
    We wont give up...thanks a lot!! This was really inspiring!! I would luv to see some of your work
    Always glad to share my work! Enjoy!
    http://robopixie.webs.com/
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own." -Adam/Mythbusters

Seems to me, in my experience, that many injuries are labeled "complete" in the first few days, when in fact they may not be. The injury is so new, there is so much swelling & trauma. Just keep hoping and working for the best and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. It doesn't take much of a signal to get through and do some pretty amazing things.
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt

please tell him the folks at care cure are pullin for him. and hope to meet him one of these days. It might be good for him to hear from some people who have had to recover from similar situations. there's so much to learn here about taking care of yourself too. his little improvements are very promising from what I have read about others injuries over the years, and the promise of a cure seems maybe, actually, possible, so like others have said, dont lose hope.

Thanks to all...

I am Jordan's uncle, and I just wanted to say thank you to all of you. Your posts have been very informative and wonderfully inspirational! A month ago we were thrust into a world we knew nothing about. We were angry, scared, and worried about the future - and I can't even imagine how Jordan felt and continues to feel.

But our feelings of despair were fairly quickly changed by some members of your community. They made us aware that there is hope for a wonderfully productive future - it may be a bit different - but it can be wonderful. I am a fairly emotional guy and have been taken back by the human spirit that I have witnessed in your community. It's like I can feel your emotions in all of your stories - it's very inspiring and moving.

Jordan has a wonderful support team, and I know he will make it thru this. I'm sure there will be bumps in the road, but I'm confident, he WILL have a wonderful life. I hope one day he can be of some assistance to a young person like all of you have been to him.

Thanks soooo much again for all your posts!

TW
    Learn from the past, but always look forward...

you have such a new injury so much positive things can happen. I was in auto accident in Nov L1 BURST FRACTURE INC. and the emergency room Dr. told my four children and their spouces I was going to be like Christopher Reeves before I had even seen a neuro surgeon it was a small town hospital I heard them all crying and no one said anything so I told my daughter get me to Toledo OH to a big trauma hospital. I met a wonderful Dr who came out on a Sat night to see me and told me at 8am the next morn on a Sun we would be in surgery. I knew I was in real trouble, but I was not about to give up. Now it has been 3 months I have done alot of therapy probably will for along time and I am so excited to say I am walking around the house(kinda wobbly) riding my recumbent bike, and started walking on the treadmill.
    Many times with the pain I want to get a little lazy with my exercise program, but then I think I must challenge myself because who will else?
    Try and not listen to the negative BS, you along with your girlfriend at your side and your family are the best cheerleaders you can have,
    Best of luck to you, this is a wonderful site many good people and lots of the best advice you can get and at no charge right{ Hang in there. My Dr at the hospital said it is a miracle that you are walking and I said no God helped me , she got tears in her eyes and gave me a big hug that was quite a moment for me.
    JeAnNE L1Burst Fracture inc. 11/5/10

Live Well--Laugh often