Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Boyfriend now a c6 quadriplegic

"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness, or skill. It will make or break a company...a church...a home. the remarkable thing is that we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will have for that day. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude...I am convinced that life is 10% of what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you...we are in charge of our attitudes" (Swindoll, Charles date unknown).

I read this on most days. I have been injured for almost 4 years and like everyone has said it does get better BUT this does not mean that we always see it this way.I am just now starting to really embrace my life again deep inside. I woke up from my coma and realized I had two choices and they were live or die.Thing is, I have this choice everyday of my life, as anyone else does. I just recently began to use this sight to the fullest extent I could. It is a plethora of information and advice.

My best to you and your boyfriend -rely on each other and I am sure your relationship will go to levels you never imagined before.

Hope these words can help.

dougie

Magee is one of the best places he can be.
    Im very sorry for what happened to you. I know im not the only person here who feels a deep ache upon learning of another newly injured young person. nice that you are there for him. though sometimes he might just be too weary for cheer leading. I hated being asked how I feel. (im not a quad, but it didnt matter.) I knew my horse days were over, and I wouldn't be playing guitar again either. it wasn't a pity party, but sometimes I just didnt want to be cheered up. My kids seemed to get that, and my silly cat. sometimes just having that friend around was perfect, even if I wasn't feeling positive that day, and able to smile.
    some days will be very good, some will be very bad. it doesn't mean your boyfriend is giving up, it may only mean he is feeling the seriousness of his situation at the moment.
    welcome to care cure. please tell him about this place. there are valuable things to learn here.

jca- It's a large cruel world out there, but you and he can make it a whole lot better. With very much hard work, and persistence he can go on to a very productive life. I know a gentleman at the U of Washington who fell out a third story window, he was a c-6 complete asia a, and went on to graduate with his class, got his first job he applied for(aerounical eng) and lives on his own, and he's 27 now. Yes it's gonna be hard work, but yes, it can be done. Make sure he's on some good antidepressants and wean him off of them. Good luck, peace be with you two on this journey.

Thank you for your replies! As of a couple of days ago he regained the ability to use his triceps... is that normal? He says he is elated to have those muscles back...

I luv this forum,

thanks again youguys are wonderful

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Did your boyfriend receive the hypothermia treatment or methylprednisolone?
    He didn't recieve either of those treatments...I read online that this treatment doesn't help much with ASIA a fractures. But I don't really know...

triceps are huge. work them hard.

With triceps, he will be able to do a lot, like eventually transfer to a car or bed unaided and push a manual chair without projection handles.

Is his injury complete or incomplete?

Quote Originally Posted by jca View Post
    He didn't recieve either of those treatments...I read online that this treatment doesn't help much with ASIA a fractures. But I don't really know...
    Well, they would have had to be administered within the first 8hrs (the sooner the better), if what I've read is correct. I would question why this wasn't done. It will do no good now.

Glad he's got triceps. I hope he improves more! You're both in my thoughts.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by jca View Post
    Thank you for your replies! As of a couple of days ago he regained the ability to use his triceps... is that normal? He says he is elated to have those muscles back...

I luv this forum,

thanks again youguys are wonderful
    Great news re. his triceps!

No words of wisdom to add to those already offered but I would like to wish you both the very best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by diddlindoug View Post
    "The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness, or skill. It will make or break a company...a church...a home. the remarkable thing is that we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will have for that day. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude...I am convinced that life is 10% of what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you...we are in charge of our attitudes" (Swindoll, Charles date unknown).

I read this on most days. I have been injured for almost 4 years and like everyone has said it does get better BUT this does not mean that we always see it this way.I am just now starting to really embrace my life again deep inside. I woke up from my coma and realized I had two choices and they were live or die.Thing is, I have this choice everyday of my life, as anyone else does. I just recently began to use this sight to the fullest extent I could. It is a plethora of information and advice.

My best to you and your boyfriend -rely on each other and I am sure your relationship will go to levels you never imagined before.

Hope these words can help.

dougie
    There's are a lot of truth written above by both Chuck and Doug. A great attitude keeps you in the moment and helps make the most of every one of them. And isn't a life just a large collection of moments.