Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Boyfriend now a c6 quadriplegic

u have to mentally prepare yourself... shit is tough
    adapt, be patient
    c5/c6 brown sequard asia d

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    He is such a new injury that there may well be some significant improvement in his outcome over time. I agree that working as hard as he can to figure out how to use his hands effectively is necessary. I am a very long term quad, and I can tell you with certainty that his life expectancy, assuming he takes care of himself, is nothing for him to worry about. I was injured at 17 and I am now 61 and doing just fine.
    Eileen is correct. I was injured when I was 20, and a college student. I am 63 now and in as good of health as ever. As a matter of fact, I am in better shape than my three AB brothers. (Two older and one younger!)

Good luck to you both.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Dear JC.
    I assume he is at Magee Rehab in Philly. Great place. I was there for my Rehab. Dr. Christopher Formal is a great Doctor. If you have any questions on Magee feel free to email me at joemonte@nep.net.

Please encourage your friend to never give up. As I've said hundred times since this thing happened--each SCI is as individual as a snowflake, you never know what is going to be the end result. I started out as a C 5/6 BSS and have made great gains in the past two years. As others have stated here, you'll know more when that spinal shock wears off. And hopefully not, but there is a chance that when it does, he may develop nerve pain and the spasticity that accompanies. If this occurs, please be very patient with him, in that nerve pain is very mentally draining. Also, nerve pain needs to be managed by a good pain management physician, who understands the dynamics of a SCI patient. I wish you and him all the best!! Please stay in touch and let us know of his progress.

His life is definitely not over. You might want to show him this video.

It's much too early for him (and you) to think about anything but working as hard as you can to learn all that you can about maximising his health, function and independence. Day at a time, week at a time, month at a time. The years will take care of themselves.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Blog Entries
    When I was first injured, I was told my life expectancy was another 7-10 years. That was 46 years ago. It's early days yet. Things will improve.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

i rehabed at magee 23 years ago when i was 15 as a c5/6. if nothing else i learned that only i can choose how much sci is going to stop me from living life. the first few months are so hard. embrace and celebrate the function he does have and as stuff does come back celebrate that too but don't give him false hope and promises. get support for yourself too because even though the injury happened to him you are also going to need help. good luck to you both.

I was at Magee last year for a couple months. They are very good at what they do. Both you and he should learn all you can from them.

Good luck!

Hi jca! Sorry to hear about your situation; just know you've found a great place here at Care Cure--great info., great folks!
    As you've already been advised, it's too early to know what he may or may not get back. He needs to concentrate on rehab and health! A positive, even hard-headed attitude doesn't hurt either!
    I'm a C6/7 complete since 2008 and things do get easier! Tell him not to lose hope but to go ahead and learn how to get things done with the function he has. Be there for him but don't forget to take care of you! Hugs and best of luck to you both!!

hey jca im 20 and im c5/6 comp just like everyone said things do get easier he can still have a great life i was injured at 15 but i havent let it stop me if he wants to talk to someone around his age that has been thur it he can meesage me ill be happy to answer any questions he has..