Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: New gal here

New gal here

Hey everyone,

As the title of my post says, I'm a T2 complete para from NYC who is new here. I was injured in the spring in a gymnastics accident... A tumble went wrong, and now I'm on wheels. It's definitely been quite an adjustment. I was a student at University of Miami in Florida, and I'll be returning this next semester. It's definitely going to be different, but I am really looking forward to it (even if I am totally nervous). I'm holding up as well as can be expected, and my friends/family have been totally, 100% amazing in every way. I'm looking to meet others who are similar in age to me - My hope is that I can learn from what others have been thru. Hope to hear from you!

~Jillian

Welcome Jillian! Glad you found us.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Welcome Jillian
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Welcome to CareCure. Sorry you had to find us this way after your accident.If you have any questions or need info or support- this is the place to be.
    CWO

Thanks everyone! As you would imagine, going from being a really active, athletic girl (gymnastics, tennis, running) to being in a chair has been a total 180 degree turn in my life. I'm not going to pretend that I'm at the point that I accept this yet, but I know I'll get there eventually. Every day I'm learning something new, which helps to offset the frustrations (especially in NYC - Definitely not a wheelchair friendly city at all!).

I'm finding that it's the little things that get me bent out of shape - Like not being at eye level with people. I know everyone is different, but how long does it take to accept it?

Hi Jillian, it's an extremely tough thing. I know exactly where you are coming from. I was about your age and a student in college at 23 years old when I become a t4 Paraplegic due to a Motorcycle accident, that was nearly 31 years ago. Went back to College in the wheelchair and it took all my emotional strength to do so. All I can say is be as strong as you can be and you will do it. As it turned out I went from being a C plus student to being a straight A student and I no longer was a chronic party type of guy and got real serious about School. After I got my two degrees I went to work for my Grandfather in the investment field (not what I really wanted to do I majored in engineering, but the employment situation in 1982 was really tough, kinda like today) and then after a year and half was an engineer working for a company called Raytheon. After that I went on to own many small businesses and eventually service stations that turned out to be super successful. It can be done, you can still live a good and productive life.

As far as Sports, you should really think about getting active in wheelchair sports, I know that really helped me out a lot over the years, especially wheelchair tennis which the past few years even in my fifties I've become very active in. Sailing is a lot of fun too, I have my own little sailboat that I tow behind my truck to different races all over the place. Once your in a place that is not so closed in like NYC you may want to think about getting into handcycling too. It is a very liberating feeling to get out of the wheelchair and onto a three wheeled trike and ride with the wind. The other thing with sports they help you in everyday life in the wheelchair as you build up your body and can do transfers like nothing and get around a lot better in the chair, especially when you play a lot of wheelchair tennis. Hang in there and stay positive.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Hi Jillian,

I am not your age (my daughters are lol!) but I am a UM Alum and I did go there too after my accident...at your age.

If you ever need anything..I live within 45 minutes..so feel free to ask.

Welcome..

Deb
    Last edited by sherocksandsherolls; 11-28-2011 at 10:51 PM.
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Hey Jillian..how old r u?

Welcome, Jillian. You'll find many, many people willing to share their expertise, support and suggestions here. Best wishes in all you do, in all the days ahead.

Same boat as you when I was injured J, feel free to message me and I can tell you how I managed.