Normally I'm a lurker around here. I don't really post but your story caught my eye. I'm a C5,6,7 complete quad about 7 years out from my accident.

Tell him not to give up hope. It's great that he regained his triceps! That's huge! He may continue to regain more functions or he might not. And somethings may even be regained years down the road. I'm 7 years out and just recently discovered I have some limited control over my lower back. It's really hard to say what will happen. So don't give up.

Also, even if he doesn't regain control over certain things or regains minimal control, it doesn't automatically mean he can't do things he once loved to do. He may have to find a different way to do them, but he can still enjoy it. I've been drawing for as long as I can remember. When I got into my accident I lost the use of my fingers on my right hand completely (I was right handed) and my fingers on my left only twitch. My wrists and forearms have no power in them, which is what you typically rely on to draw. I didn't think I'd ever hold a pencil again, but I am. I use my left hand to hold the pencil and my triceps and shoulders to actually draw. I'm now an animation major in college and currently working on a professional film.

So plz don't let him or yourself give up. This life is hard, no doubt about it, but it's well worth fighting for. Best of luck to both of you!