Thread: Confused about sensation!!

Question Confused about sensation!!

I am a C6 incomplete,great arm and wrist movement,but no hand,paralized from chest down, Asia B-7 months out and I am confused about sensation.I can feel when someone touches me,but was told I can't feel pain.Thing is i can-its delayed a bit and somewhat of a different sensation than before,but it's pain! And do completes feel sensation below their level of injury as well?Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

As a C6/7 incomplete myself I always chuckle when people tell me what I'm feeling!

Only you can tell what you feel and I know how bizzare it is. I've found it neccessary to re-define what pain is.

Sarah has strong sensation below her level of injury (C6/C7) too. Her feet are very touchy. If I touch them, it really bothers her.

I agree.....no one can tell you what you feel.

Chad's a c/5 c/6 incomplete 8 months. He can move his arms and wrists. Is finally getting some tricepts back. Can not move his hands but has learned to work remotes and computer using his thumbs. Has had some sensation all along, but now can feel hot and cold. Moving his toes for a while and some times can move his legs. Bad spasams in his back and legs the last 3 weeks or so since he moved his leg for the first time.

If you are incomplete, which is asia b, you can very well feel. People give me weird looks when I mention something hurts. Apparently, people think paralysis beens waist down( I always get that) & NOTHING works. All you can do is try to educate. I hope it's not your dr.s saying this.

Quote Originally Posted by jackiegarriga View Post
    I am a C6 incomplete,great arm and wrist movement,but no hand,paralized from chest down, Asia B-7 months out and I am confused about sensation.I can feel when someone touches me,but was told I can't feel pain.Thing is i can-its delayed a bit and somewhat of a different sensation than before,but it's pain! And do completes feel sensation below their level of injury as well?Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
    i'm c3-4 incomplete..my sensation is so weird..i describe it as a where's waldo book..it's in random places lol

I'm a C6/7 incomplete and feel light touch. The question isn't really whether whether you feel anything associated with something that should be painful. To the doctors and therapists, it doesn't really matter. Because, to them, it is more telling if you actually feel the pain as painful. Does your body react to the stimulus in a way that prevents you from injuring yourself, or gives you chronic discomfort. Like if I burn my legs, they will jump, and I will feel something, but I definitely don't feel that I got burned and that I have a bad injury that needs addressing. Likewise, I sliced open my foot once and felt the injury occurring, but I didn't feel it as painful. The injury was bleeding profusely and I didn't realize how bad it was. As far as what the amount of feeling you have means for the future, no one really knows. But, I can say that it should give you hope that function may slowly improve. I continued to gain function and strength in one hand (very slight, but a dramatic difference in capability) for around 10 years post injury.
    C-6/7 incomplete