Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dnr

Dnr

DO you have one? Why or why not? I'm writing an article and would appreciate your experience my email is emTreston@gmail.com if I could talk to you or send you some questions .
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

hell yes. i dont want to become a veggie or higher quad. no extrodanary measures either.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    hell yes. i dont want to become a veggie or higher quad. no extrodanary measures either.
    Fuentes, You have such a way with words. Please have some tact for the higher level quads. We already know your opinion on them.

Back to topic. We were just talking about it this week. We don't have any directives, but are going to work on doing so.
    We always said we knew what each other would want, but since circumstances have changed it's time to just get things in order even if it is something unpleasant to put off.
    Also, having been through so much with hospitals and complications we have a better idea of what we want to do.
    One of Dave's fears is that he will have a stroke and his mother and brother would try to rule over what I know he wants-no extraordinary measures.
    What they call optimsm I call denial of reality.
    Dave talked to his dad about a dnr (years ago) when he was in the hospital because no one else in the family would. It ended up being what he wanted.
    I don't want my adult children to agonize over what to do. I watched a friend of mine care for her dad when he had no quality of life. (long story, but it was hell)
    When my time comes I wish to just drop to the floor, but that isn't what usually happens.
    A few years ago we went to a elder lawyer with my mom. There were other reasons for the visit, but one of them was for a very specific healthcare directive. (not sure if that is the word)
    Sorry to be so long.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    Fuentes, You have such a way with words. Please have some tact for the higher level quads. We already know your opinion on them.
    linda, dont be offended i just answered the question she asked. straight forward question deserves a straight forward answer.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Thank you. Do you know what extraordinary circumstances would be? I just found myself in a hospital and it was an eye opening experience. If I could interview you I'd be grateful.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    What would you consider an extraordinary circumstance vs. something you would want the staff to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Liz321 View Post
    What would you consider an extraordinary circumstance vs. something you would want the staff to do?
    like if my heart stopped or feeding tube, vent or coma things like that liz. w/ all those you risk further paralysis and brasin damage, i want none of that....i always had dnr but i further elaborated on it when i was in icu w/ that staph, my only hospitalization since sci, . my body just didnt feel right, felt weak and tired. then i added those things.
    Last edited by fuentejps; 01-30-2011 at 01:47 PM.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Quote Originally Posted by Liz321 View Post
    Thank you. Do you know what extraordinary circumstances would be? I just found myself in a hospital and it was an eye opening experience. If I could interview you I'd be grateful.
    If this is directed me me I would be more that glad to.
    I have got to get off the computer now, but will check back tonight.

My wife was hospitalized 160 consecutive days last year. Despite dnr they bagged her twice when she stopped breathing during sleep. As she got better and was ditching the vent and trach one of the RTs reminded her she still had a dnr order in the folder by bed. My wife stated she wanted it chaged and 2 minutes later staff changed it. You could tell they were bothered by the dnr and couldn't wait to make the change.

I am finding there's no clarity on the dnr area. I'd be interested in others experiences .