Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you PAY to be cured?

Would you PAY to be cured?

We often talk about the bad science (lack of clinical trials) of places like XCell and other such places and that people are basically paying to be experimented on. I would like to change the topic from the science to the PAYING part.

How about if the science and the results from such places were good and they could show us person after person getting up out of their chairs (a high percentage). Would you pay?

I don't know what I would do, but my fear is that if people start to travel and PAY that there will be less chance of governments in our own countries funding further spinal cord regeneration research or even willing to have spinal cord regeneration therapies covered under universal public health insurance.

I think of the example of rehab/exercise programmes like ProjectWalk (yes, I know it's not a cure) which show quite good results, but aren't covered by public health insurance even in countries where coverage is universal.

If we don't make this a priority now we may end up with a whole group of people with SCI who are left in their chairs even after good therapies are developed.

I've made further comments about this at my most recent post at www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com but this is the meat and potatoes of it.
    Last edited by StemCells&AtomBombs; 01-30-2011 at 12:54 AM. Reason: forgot something
    Dennis Tesolat
    www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
    Martin Luther King

No but then again i would be cured for free either

Can't speak for anyone else here, put that's why I'm personally so indebted to Dr. Young and all that he is and has accomplished. He's taking the high road and doing all the FDA requires so that when that therapy does comes available giving a high percentage of cure rates, it will be covered by private insurance. No doubt even then, we'll each have high of out-of-pocket expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by StemCells&AtomBombs View Post
    We often talk about the bad science (lack of clinical trials) of places like XCell and other such places and that people are basically paying to be experimented on. I would like to change the topic from the science to the PAYING part.

How about if the science and the results from such places were good and they could show us person after person getting up out of their chairs (a high percentage). Would you pay?
    Interesting thought but you hit the nail on the head by stating "if there was a high percentage of clients being cured come what may" then i would think the companies and organisations would be pushing to get there cut as well.

Because at the moment without we as a avocate in pushing the issue of a cure then those in poiwer will leave status que as is as they feed off it to much. Rember there is money to be made in other's peoples problems and the longer the problem go's on the more they make.

Quote Originally Posted by StemCells&AtomBombs View Post
    I don't know what I would do, but my fear is that if people start to travel and PAY that there will be less chance of governments in our own countries funding further spinal cord regeneration research or even willing to have spinal cord regeneration therapies covered under universal public health insurance.

If we don't make this a priority now we may end up with a whole group of people with SCI who are left in their chairs even after good therapies are developed.

I've made further comments about this at my most recent post at www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com but this is the meat and potatoes of it.
    Governments anywhere generally don't do anything bright unless pushed and lobbyied no matter what ever the subject then you have to continue to fight as there will be others in government who have other agendas who consider spinal research for instance a waste of tax payers money.

I've always figured I'd have to, deep down. And yes, smehow, I'd pay.

I would drain my 401K, sell my car, house, dog, whatever it takes. Well maybe not the dog.

If it proves efficacy (and I mean ASIA A to ASIA D efficacy) - then I would pay for myself and a few of my SCI'd friends too. And then I would kick down the doors at No10 Downing Street until everyone else got it too.

I would pay in a heartbeat !! Geron is in this for the money not for humanitarian reasons.
    Wise is in it for us and since Spinewire days 12 yeas ago, he has been my hope and inspiration. I am now 60 and running out of time, so yes I would gladly pay whatever price, short of selling my soul lol............BY the way Wise is also 60 !!!

i dont care about the price. even 500.000 dollars wouldnt scare me away. !!
    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

We don't pay for healthcare so for me it has never been on my mind to pay. But if I had to, I would have paid. I would have sold my appartment and taken all my savings. Like Mike says, time is running out for me so I am willing to pay.

500 000 dollars is the prize for one to bedrooms appartment, I rather be without appartment.
    TH 12, 43 years post