Thread: Should I keep the printer?

Should I keep the printer?

I'm in the process of going through computer equipment I'm not currently using. I found a program from my last computer. I did not find any disk to use with it. To be honest, I'm not sure it even came with any. Wondering if it would still be able to be used or if it is too outdated? Appreciate any input.

Blog Entries
    Depends on the printer. If it is not 8 or 10 years old, You should be able to download the driver from the manufacturer's website. If you are using Windows 7, It might recognize the printer and install the driver automatically - it's worth a try.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

I put an old printer up on a new computer recently, expecting to have to install the drivers, and windows 7 took care of it. It works fine.

BUT, look into the price of the print cartridges. A lot of older printers take cartridges that cost $$$.

I recently bought a new printer (Kodak) for $69, and black cartridges are $10 a pop. The older HP that it replaced, needed $35 cartridges. There are a couple of other brands w/inexpensive cartridges too.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Donno View Post
    Depends on the printer. If it is not 8 or 10 years old, You should be able to download the driver from the manufacturer's website. If you are using Windows 7, It might recognize the printer and install the driver automatically - it's worth a try.
    Hi Donno,

When I got my new computer, I ordered it with Windows 7 Ultimate with a 64 bit processor. My older printer would not work and no new drivers will be created for a 64 bit system. With the Ultimate version, you do get to install a virtual version of Windows XP which would utilize the old printer. I finally gave away the old printer and got a new one and everything is great now.

Good luck.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne