Thread: Cancer Drug Aids Regeneration of Spinal Cord After Injuries

Cancer Drug Aids Regeneration of Spinal Cord After Injuries

ScienceDaily (Jan. 28, 2011) — After a spinal cord injury a number of factors impede the regeneration of nerve cells. Two of the most important of these factors are the destabilization of the cytoskeleton and the development of scar tissue. While the former prevents regrowth of cells, the latter creates a barrier for severed nerve cells. Scientists of the Max Planck Institute of Neurobiology in Martinsried and their colleagues from the Kennedy Krieger Institute and University of Miami in the United States, and the University of Utrecht in the Netherlands, have now shown that the cancer drug Taxol reduces both regeneration obstacles.

Read more:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0128095038.htm

darryl, interesting article today ;things are moving .http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/215330.php

Keeping On,

Thank you very much for this article.

I found the following statement from it very interesting: “the creation of a carbon-carbon bond. It was an achievement that many researchers deemed impossible, but while others tried to work around having to create that bond by using other techniques, the team's persistence paid off.”

This statement reminded me of something I'd read as I am interested in the antiquities / Dead Sea Scrolls, Egypt, etc.

Salt-loving microbe forges its own path

http://www.nature.com/news/2011/110120/full/news.2011.36.html?WT.ec_id=NEWS-20110125

This article said: “The discovery in a hardy microbe of a novel way of processing carbon shows that there are more ways for organisms to sustain life in the harshest of environments than previously thought.”
    and
    Two alternative pathways have been described by which microorganisms, including ancient bacteria, convert acetyl-CoA into the building blocks of sugar — the glyoxylate cycle and the ethylmalonyl-CoA pathway. The latter was discovered just four years ago.

Now, a research team based in Germany has found that a microbe that thrives in salty settings — it lives in the Dead Sea in the Middle East — uses a third method, the methylaspartate cycle.”

In my humble opinion I believe the cure for SCI will involve introducing something at the injury site at the molecular level to change the glial scarring environment so it will allow “sprouting” to heal the spinal cord naturally through a "pathway" and the date of the injury will not be a factor meaning the body needs this catalyst to allow it to heal naturally.

Like in your article they said: "A lot of blood, sweat and tears went into creating that bond," Herzon said. "After that, the rest of the process was relatively easy."

I agree with you that “things are moving” and I can feel it in my bones that a cure is coming soon.

darryl, thank you for the info you've provided. There are things coming for all forms of ailments; and we need to recognize it and provide forward progress in this field. It's coming; it's coming.

keeping on