Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did this AI contestant exploit his fiancée with a TBI?

Did this AI contestant exploit his fiancée with a TBI?

Chris Medina is working to make two 'American Idol' dreams come true.

The 26-year old barista from Illinois appeared on Wednesday's tryout episode of the national singing competition, and brought with him his girlfriend, Juliana Ramos. She was there for a different kind of inspiration: two weeks before they were to marry, Ramos was in a car accident, leaving her with brain damage.

Now Ramos' caretaker, Medina tried out for the show, bringing Ramos along and introducing her to judges Randy Jackson, Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler. Did he make the cut? Watch below.

Some fans and pundits have expressed support for Medina, while others think that his motives and actions were exploitative.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_814650.html

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    he sings better than that fantasia chick

It may have been a little tacky. Okay, a lot tacky but he seems like a good guy. He wouldn't be taking care of her just on the off chance he could use her on American Idol. He has made a huge commitment to her and it's good that he makes her a part of whatever he is doing.

He didn't exploit her in my opinion. He loves her and wanted to share that moment with her. He is one of her care takers since 2009 as I understand it. Why wouldn't he want to bring her? They all had their stories and this one stuck out. I thought it was fantastic. I would be super pissed if my husband or love of my life didn't take me along to experience and unforgettable moment in his life.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

And he sings better than most of those who tried out. I thought he was great!

I think it ws touching and he said she needed her to be there, the fact tht millions of people saw her and he even said it was from an auto accident, maybe it could wake up many to the fact we all do not hve perfect bodies and gain some insight of the life of a SCI.
    He is going to Hollywood, and who knows how this could turn out, he has a pretty good voice, a ring around his neck, and a incredible life ahead even if he does not win, he is already a winner.
    David Cook told the story of his brother who had cancer and we all wanted to know more and he is an American Idol.
    STAND BY YOUR MAN, as they say ...
    JeAnNE L1Burst Fracture inc. 11/5/10

Live Well--Laugh often

I'm torn, to be honest. I understand the couple has a history, but not knowing how much choice she has in these situations makes me leery. It's never fair to an individual to be towed around simply because her body is there when who she was may not be.

The judges asked him to bring her out. They exploited the circumstance for ratings. Steven Tyler kissing her.
    Last edited by PeteShick; 01-28-2011 at 06:15 PM.

Dude...Give that girl some credit. She's not dead and her spirits probably lift when she gets out and about. In my opinion she needs to be out as much as possible. She shouldn't be confined to the house. She communicated on the show and told him "she knew he would make it". I'm sure she can say "no, i don't want to go with you". It's a great story and it touched my heart to see such a great guy stand behind his woman. No exploitation in this story at all.

the show's producers are responsible for the "exploitation," not the contestant. I'm sure there's tons of footage that never gets aired from others w/ stories.

stuff like that gets people talking. (e.g., this thread)

and that was a serious TBI.