Thread: Components of quality of life for persons with a quadriplegic and paraplegic spinal cord injury [In Process Citation]

Components of quality of life for persons with a quadriplegic and paraplegic spinal cord injury [In Process Citation]

Components of quality of life for persons with a quadriplegic and paraplegic spinal cord injury [In Process Citation]

Selected

Qual Health Res 2001 Nov;11(6):795-811 (ISSN: 1049-7323)

Manns PJ; Chad KE [Find other articles with these Authors]
    College of Kinesiology, University of Saskatchewan, Canada.

This investigation determined the themes that represented quality of life for persons with a spinal cord injury. Fifteen people (6 females, 9 males; 7 persons with quadriplegia, 8 with paraplegia) participated in this study, which used naturalistic inquiry methodologies. Results showed that quality of life for this population, regardless of severity of impairment, consisted of nine themes: (a) physical function and independence, (b) accessibility, (c) emotional well-being, (d) stigma, (e) spontaneity, (f) relationships and social function, (g) occupation, (h) finances, and (i) physical well-being. The themes of life quality were similar for quadriplegics and paraplegics; however, physical function and independence and physical well-being affected the quality of life of persons with a quadriplegic injury to a greater extent. These findings may provide health professionals with information necessary to assist in the development of programs to enhance quality of life.

Language: English
    MEDLINE Indexing Date: 200111
    Publication Type: Journal Article
    PreMedline Identifier: 0011710078
    Unique NLM Identifier: 21567320
    Journal Code: T

wow, these ppl are so smart. maybe next time they can do a multimillion dollar study on why round wheels work better than square wheels. maybe they can build a 30 million dollar new building to conduct the research. where do i send my check?

LOL

Now I can laugh- what a joke

"used naturalistic inquiry methodologies"

Does this mean they asked the research subjects questions? :-(

I am definetly with DA on this one. Where do I send my check so we can have more research like this?

"...physical function and independence and physical well-being affected the quality of life of persons with a quadriplegic injury to a greater extent."

NO! Really? What a profound finding!!!!

I wonder what they mean by saying "to develop programs to enhance their quality of life." For starters, provide those who are suffering, or struggling, with home security and reliable caregivers. No one should have to worry about who will show up in the morning to get them out of bed, etc.

PN

It does say:

These findings MAY provide health professionals with information necessary to assist in the development of programs to enhance quality of life.
    ...which can also be read as implying that it may NOT provide health professionals with information necessary to assist in the development of programs to enhance quality of life, and MAY VERY WELL have been a massive waste of time, energy and money, all of which could have been put to better use giving one or more quads/paras some ambulatory therapy / FES / bought one motorised wheelchair for a third world quad/ been spent on research.

Damn...