Thread: No Alcohol = Clogged Catheter???

No Alcohol = Clogged Catheter???

Hello,

Looking for direction re: calcium phosphate, not medical advice. I am a white male, 48, have C 4-5 incomplete quadriplegia from a diving accident 25 years ago, and am otherwise very healthy. Since utilizing silicone catheters 24 years ago, or so, I've had almost no clogging issues in my urethral and now superpubic caths. Over the last several months, however, I've experienced three clogs; and after changing caths I notice excessive 'sediment' build-up. I drink roughly 1600 ounces of water a day (eight 20 oz glasses).

In July I stopped drinking alcohol. I found some research online that seems to suggest maybe alcohol consumption reduces calcium phosphate,and that calcium phosphate is the build-up that causes catheter clogs, My questions are these: What might be good medical sources to determine (a) if my presumptions about calcium phosphate are correct, (b) if the absence of alcohol may be the culprit, and (c) what I might eat/drink/do (other than start drinking booze again) to remedy the situation.

Thank you very much!

yep, i slowed down, almost stopped drinking beers, and have noticed more crap in my piss.
    always heard doctors says a glass of wine or a beer a day is good for you
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Quad Kings View Post
    Hello,

Looking for direction re: calcium phosphate, not medical advice. I am a white male, 48, have C 4-5 incomplete quadriplegia from a diving accident 25 years ago, and am otherwise very healthy. Since utilizing silicone catheters 24 years ago, or so, I've had almost no clogging issues in my urethral and now superpubic caths. Over the last several months, however, I've experienced three clogs; and after changing caths I notice excessive 'sediment' build-up. I drink roughly 1600 ounces of water a day (eight 20 oz glasses).

In July I stopped drinking alcohol. I found some research online that seems to suggest maybe alcohol consumption reduces calcium phosphate,and that calcium phosphate is the build-up that causes catheter clogs, My questions are these: What might be good medical sources to determine (a) if my presumptions about calcium phosphate are correct, (b) if the absence of alcohol may be the culprit, and (c) what I might eat/drink/do (other than start drinking booze again) to remedy the situation.

Thank you very much!
    The following is a link to a PDF that has recommendation for preventing clogged catheters.
    http://www.health.qld.gov.au/qscis/P..._blockages.pdf

All the best,
    GJ