Thread: Dry itchy ears

Dry itchy ears

Does anybody have any suggestions for how to treat dry, itchy ears.

For the last couple of years I have been having a problem with near constant itching and flaking skin in my ears, the skin near the opening to the ear canal gets dry and flaky. Some time ago a doctor prescribed some drops which were a steroid and I believe contained an antibiotic. They relieved the symptoms as long as I used the drops but the itching returned soon after the prescription was used up. I don't think he wanted me to use the drops long term because it was a steroid, I trust his judgement even if I do not understand it.

A pharmacist recommended using olive oil to keep the skin from drying up. I have been using olive oil daily for the last two years. It usually reduces the itching but does not stop it completely. Usually each morning after I wash I have to use the tip of my little finger to remove some old skin from around the opening to the ear canal. It can be hard to remove all of the dead skin and any that remains seems to cause itching. I used some tiger balm for the last few days and it seems to stop the itching but the skin peels even more when using this and if I stop using it the skin seems to dry up almost immediately.

Any ideas or suggestions from anyone who has this problem would be appreciated.

Duncan.
    Last edited by Duncan McIntyre; 01-26-2011 at 06:37 PM.

I've been getting dry ears, nose, and throat from the central heating being on all the time. One thing that helps is the Microcyn/ Vetericyn gel. I put it in my ears with a Q-tip at the first sign of itching as that's one of my red flags for a pending infection.

Your description sounds like the problem I have. I have been to a dermatologist and had tissue samples analyzed. I have Eczema and treat it with a prescription cream called Triamcinolone Acetonide Cream 0.5%. It usually clears it up in about a week and stays clear for a while and then I end up treating it again for a day or two.

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Your description sounds like the problem I have. I have been to a dermatologist and had tissue samples analyzed. I have Eczema and treat it with a prescription cream called Triamcinolone Acetonide Cream 0.5%. It usually clears it up in about a week and stays clear for a while and then I end up treating it again for a day or two.

All the best,
    GJ
    Is the Eczema on other parts of your body or is it only in your ears?

INSTANT RELIEF for me:

Neomycin & Polymyxin B Sulfates & Hydrocortisone - Otic Suspension <--_this is the whole name & it is a prescription drug.

I put in a couple of drops in the itchy ear, then a Q-tip to apply to all areas,
    boom - no more itching - works immediately.

I get itchy ears whenever i get water in my ears washing my hair

Before i found this - i was going crazy,
    I sure hope this helps some folks!

Have you seen a dermatologist or ENT? One of those folks might be able to help.
    CKF

Levothyroxine sodium (used to treat hypothyroidism) is the generic name in the United States for the brand name Cynoplus in Mexico.

See this site for names of Levothroxine sodium around the world.
    http://www.drugs.com/international/levothyroxine.html

Brand names for Levothyroxine in the US are Synthroid, Levoxyl, Levothroid, Eltroxin.

All the best,
    GJ

Well its good to know that even though I will never walk again I got that whole itchy ear thing covered.
    Vote for Trump!

Woodland, CA, USA [Grew up in Benton Harbor, MI]
    I put a thin coating of petroleum jelly in my ears each night. It keeps things moist.
    TM 2004 T12 incomplete