Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any suggestions for a new chair?

Smile Any suggestions for a new chair?

I'm going to order a new wheelchair next week, and I'd like your input/suggestions. I’ve always bought Quickies, basically just telling them 15 x 15 seat size to get the right size frame, since everything else was adjustable. My last chair was bought 8 years ago and much has changed.

I love the open, single-tube look of the Quickie Q7, the Crossfire T6 and the Aero Z; the reason I didn’t just order another Quickie was that I noticed that the frame housing that connects to the caster brackets flares out almost horizontally, whereas on the Aero Z the frame housing (if that's the right term) is tucked back nicely.

In browsing, this site kept popping up, and I noticed that most all of you are extraordinarily well versed in wheelchair knowledge.

I’ll be buying a lightweight (aluminum) rigid chair.

I only had spokes on my first chair: there was so much creaking and squeaking I’ve used composite mags since, and will be using aftermarket X-Cores on whichever chair I get.

I had decided on the Ti Aero Z, but after looking at many of your pix and reading about your chairs, I realize that the Ti Zr, Zrc, etc, might be better.

So, please give me your pros and cons as for the Aero Z versus your own favorite, I’d love to hear them! Weight is the only stipulation: I need a chair under 15-17 pounds (without wheels), even lighter is better.

Thanks ahead of time, and if you add pics (or can link to them) that would be even better. (I only hope I know this site's layout well enough to find this post. ~~Love to all, D

PS: I'll only be online for limited time next few days, but will reply to all when I get back (if that's possible here) but regardless, thank you so much for your help.
    Last edited by Daraby; 01-26-2011 at 04:45 AM. Reason: to add comma

since u're buying aluminum, just want to remind you that Ti Zr/Zrc/Zr2/Zra/Zrac that u have read here is the titanium version of the aero z.the Zr/Zrc/Zr2 is the non-adjustable version... (SCI_OTR : why did you come up with those name!!!kinda look like Ti offers a lot of chairs!!!)

Since you like cantilevered frame and i have no direct experience, just let the experienced guy do the work.

I have a tilite Tr. I dont hate it, but i cant say i love it either...=/
    walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Broken in August 14th, 2003. T9-L1 complete.

Thanks Nia

That's good to know, it's hard to find out things like that on a retail site. The aluminum in the chair I'm thinking of getting is 7000 grade, so it'll be stronger and lighter than Titanium.

Also if the frame were to break I could get it welded, whereas with titanium no one could weld it. That's why I want aluminum and not titanium.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Daraby View Post
    . . .
    I only had spokes on my first chair: there was so much creaking and squeaking I’ve used composite mags since, and will be using aftermarket X-Cores on whichever chair I get. . .
    Not so fast!

I had two sets of X-Cores and they creaked too, plus the hubs used to come loose (I think they've been redesigned, though). They look cool, but they're heavy.

There are much better made and lighter weight wheels available now. (I'm partial to the Round Betty Dinos. Erick, the company president and designer just posted pics of his new chair here.)

Quote Originally Posted by nia adha View Post

I have a tilite Tr. I dont hate it, but i cant say i love it either...=/
    why not?

Thanks Stephen. I did do some research into the X-Cores, from the company's adverts to the wheel's cross-section schematics, as well as on discussion boards and talking to dealers. X-Core did redesigned the wheel, supposedly strengthening and making it lighter, and for the most part people’s reviews are good.

I would only be lifting the wheels once they’re off the chair (I'm getting a rigid) so even though weight does matter, it matters more in the chair and not the wheels. I'm going to check out the link you sent now. Thanks again!

I'm going to order a new wheelchair next week, and I'd like your input/suggestions. I’ve always bought Quickies, basically just telling them 15 x 15 seat size to get the right size frame, since everything else was adjustable. My last chair was bought 8 years ago and much has changed.

I love the open, single-tube look of the Quickie Q7, the Crossfire T6 and the Aero Z; the reason I didn’t just order another Quickie was that I noticed that the frame housing that connects to the caster brackets flares out almost horizontally, whereas on the Aero Z the frame housing (if that's the right term) is tucked back nicely.

In browsing, this site kept popping up, and I noticed that most all of you are extraordinarily well versed in wheelchair knowledge.

I’ll be buying a lightweight (aluminum) rigid chair.

I only had spokes on my first chair: there was so much creaking and squeaking I’ve used composite mags since, and will be using aftermarket X-Cores on whichever chair I get.

I had decided on the Ti Aero Z, but after looking at many of your pix and reading about your chairs, I realize that the Ti Zr, Zrc, etc, might be better.

So, please give me your pros and cons as for the Aero Z versus your own favorite, I’d love to hear them! Weight is the only stipulation: I need a chair under 15-17 pounds (without wheels), even lighter is better.

Thanks ahead of time, and if you add pics (or can link to them) that would be even better. (I only hope I know this site's layout well enough to find this post. ~~Love to all, D

PS: I'll only be online for limited time next few days, but will reply to all when I get back (if that's possible here) but regardless, thank you so much for your help.
    Wait a bit, don`t buy a new chair now, something is coming out to the market that maybe could interest you.

C'mon TotoL1, you can't make a simple statement like that. There is always something new coming to market these days, if we all waited we would never purchase anything. You will have to give more details.

As for the consideration of wheels, have you considered the Spinergy LX wheels? While expensive, they are well made, light and don't creak.

In my opinion your thoughts of an Aero Z is a fine choice and don't rule it out. As stated by Nia, it is basically the aluminum version of the ZRA that so many on here are pleased with.

If you contact TiLite, they should be able to give you a rep. to contact in your area that could possibly loan you an Aero Z to try.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

I'm going through the same thing right now. I'm looking to buy a new chair as well. I have a Quickie Ti right now but looking into the Ti Lite Zr I would like any advice or helpful tips as well. I'm T4-T6 very active and looking for the best comfortable everyday chair I can get. Good luck

Thanks Stephen. I did do some research into the X-Cores, from the company's adverts to the wheel's cross-section schematics, as well as on discussion boards and talking to dealers. X-Core did redesigned the wheel, supposedly strengthening and making it lighter, and for the most part people’s reviews are good.

I would only be lifting the wheels once they’re off the chair (I'm getting a rigid) so even though weight does matter, it matters more in the chair and not the wheels. I'm going to check out the link you sent now. Thanks again!
    I strenuously doubt that the wheels are lighter now. In fact, it's probably the opposite as the manufacturer added internal "ribs" to the spokes to make the wheels sturdier. I don't see where they could have any weight savings over the original production runs.

I should also add that I had an X-Core wheel shatter into pieces once when American Airlines dropped the wheel when offloading my chair. I never imagined that scenario occurring and with the other wheels being suggested to you in this thread, that would never have happened. Dropped, yes; shattered, no.

And though the wheels may be light enough for you when assembling/disassembling them from your chair, heavier wheels may contribute more to a heavier feeling push (i.e., less mechanically efficient) than if you could, theoretically, transfer that weight to the frame of the chair. At least that's some people's opinion -- that is, it's better to have the weight of the chair distributed under your body (the chair frame) rather than to the side of it (the wheels).
    Last edited by stephen212; 01-26-2011 at 02:14 PM.