Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Emergency' e-mail from Suzanne Poone?

'Emergency' e-mail from Suzanne Poone?

I got an "emergency" e-mail from Suzanne tonite requesting money be sent to her in Spain since she had lost her wallet on her way to an SCI meeting. Although I met her back in DC at the SCI gathering, I have never kept up any association and can't imagine why she would appeal to me specifically. So I am wondering if this is a type of scam put to CC members. Thought maybe someone here should know or at least see if anyone else got something similar. It just didn't jibe with what I know of her. Deb

I'm sure the admins can check the IP address. Sounds strange
    to me though.

ipost yett sounds like the phishing, i didnt read the whole yet,but if western union is the only service, it is phishing. i know quite a few attempts culled from sports list, stranded in england, robbed and penniless in Timbuktu. the owner of this board can contact her , he should have her info, and i do not think she would be asking you for money, i think she has a good financial world.
    cauda equina

Did you get one too, Metro?

I just heard about this scam on the radio Deb - the one I heard about involved a politician from BC - same modis operando (sp?) except he was having knee surgery and was no where near Spain !

Delete,delete and delete. I wonder who a person would inform when you receive this stuff - the police???

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Me too, I met Suzanne in 2005 at the DC Rally, I opened email, it was not from our lovely Suzanne Poon. Someone was phishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Obieone View Post
    Delete,delete and delete. I wonder who a person would inform when you receive this stuff - the police???
    in the states, the FTC.

www.ftc.gov/spam

dateline had an ep on this. it was targeting the elderly with a phone call from their "grandson" who was in "jail" asking for bail money. seriously, some ppl on the internets are sick.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Yup, it's a variation of a scam, I had the following a few weeks ago.
    Hello,

I'm sorry I didn't inform anyone about my trip to London, United Kingdom. Unfortunately I was mugged at gun point, at the hotel park am staying. My mobile phone, cash and credit card was stolen but luckily for me I still have my passport. I was able to make contact with the UK Police and directed to the Australia Consulate, but they seems to be taking things too slow. My flight leaves in few hrs from now, and am having problems settling the hotel bills. I already suggested to postpone the bills but the hotel management insisted I should contact my family & friends at home to send funds my way to settle bills and also have extra money to return home. Please get back to me asap.
    Simon

Blog Entries
    Well known phishing scam, usually from a Yahoo email account. I've gotten two in the last 5 or 6 months.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury