Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quite proud of myself, thank you very much! :)

Quite proud of myself, thank you very much! :)

Nearly every single house in my neighborhood has a bunch of steps to the front door. Over the years, when there has been a meeting that I get invited to at someone's house, I just don't go (occasionally I agree to be carried up the stairs). Anyway, tomorrow night there is a meeting for the parents of this group that my daughter is in. It's at someone's house. I just sent an email to everyone and I asked if it would be possible to have this meeting at a wheelchair accessible location so that I could attend. The library perhaps. A local church maybe. Normally I don't like being a pain in the ass, but I'm sick of being the dog that tucks it's tail and rolls over exposing it's belly.

It's going to be interesting to see how people respond. I predict they will say, "We can carry you up the stairs!" I don't f-ing want to be carried.

You go girl! Stick to your guns and ask for accomodation that is accessible.

Response:

"I will ask Heidi if we can use the school for the meeting. Not sure if it will be unlocked though - but whatever the case, we'll find a wheelchair accessible place. I'll let people know that the location will be announced."

Yay!

Yay!!

That's great Shannon
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

I know it seems like a little thing, but it's unlike the ways I've always handled such situations in the past.

Excellent! I don't think it's a small thing at all, it's major!

No, it's awesome. It really makes people realize the crap we go through on a daily.

It is not a little thing, it is a big thing. I never want to be carried either, the only time is when it is a meeting at the school for my small one and his father is doing it. I have hit my head a couple of times too much because they have lost me.

And into the shop if it is two or three steps they can drag me
    TH 12, 43 years post

That's great to "stand up" for yourself!
    Rich