Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: You know what I hate about caregiving resources?

Quote Originally Posted by anban View Post
    I see my husband go through the same problems you are having. My greatest wish is for him to be the first one asleep and the last one awake.
    Chad is just like you, and then I feel SO guilty for complaining!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SoFla View Post
    Do you have a teenager in your neighborhood? A teen would be over-joyed to make $10 an hour by doing the little things on your list. Just make a chore list that you think will take an hour, and ask the teen if they will accept the task on a regular basis. What I am saying is, don't pay the kid $10/hour, tell them you expect the chores to be completed in about an hour, and that is what you will pay. Otherwise, the teen will lollygag over the job.
    How long has it been since you hired a teenager?

Maybe the teenagers are breathing different air here in NC LOL (not trying to be a smartA$$ LOL) but I have been having trouble myself finding someone to do minimal things like Ami's list and people just don't want to work. PERIOD I asked my own kid to sweep and you would have thought I asked her to walk four miles in the snow to pick me up some diapers and bring them back LOL

Seriously...I just think its a sign of the times...

I am selling my house and if I can't take care of it myself....I don't need it. I don't really know and cringe at the thought of what other people who have significant needs are going to do.

I am so sorry Ami...I do understand your frustration. I feel bad for asking someone to change a lightbulb because I feel like I need a $100 dollar bill in my hand....
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Ironically, at the moment, we have a very good care arrangement where I do have reliable help. But as with the past, I'm kinda waiting for the other shoe to drop. And I was mostly just complaining about the lack of support for the position we are in - I am a young adult with a young adult husband, a young child, and the caregiving resources are generally really not applicable to us. Finding an adult day care center for chad? uuum, no lol

Quote Originally Posted by zillazangel View Post
    p.s. please don't skewer me for this rant .... i know that these caregiving websites and groups DO have some useful things for people like me. Just not very many. I just had to get that off my chest.

p.p.s. double triple pretty please don't skewer me .... (i'm paranoid!!)
    Quit your bitching, Ami. I, too, laugh in the face of supposed help organizations out there. Help, my ass, they give more bullshit and hurdles over the dumbest shit, so I gave them the finger. I'm not a caregiver, so I really can't offer anything but an ear and some jokes to maybe lighten the load.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais View Post
    Quit your bitching, Ami. I, too, laugh in the face of supposed help organizations out there. Help, my ass, they give more bullshit and hurdles over the dumbest shit, so I gave them the finger. I'm not a caregiver, so I really can't offer anything but an ear and some jokes to maybe lighten the load.
    I heart you Todd. A damn shame you're gay!!!

I heart you Todd. A damn shame you're gay!!!
    My penis is the size of a clit anyway. I couldn't do much for you.

I spent all day just last Friday calling every agency in the book, and every department that I thought might be of some assistance, the ones that I actually got to talk to a person all ask the same thing...what exactly is it you want from us? Um...I don't know maybe some freakin help. Anything I don't care just some help, if someone could help do A then maybe I could do B or if they can do B then I will do A, and then lets try to figure out some one else to help with C, D, E, F and G. Then the others that I had to leave a message with, well here it is Tuesday evening and still no calls back. I do have the Dept of Rehab coming Feb. 8th I think it is but I really don't know why cause I doubt they will be able to do anything either, but when I told the guy I was seriously suffering from caregiver burnout that I didn't feel like I could do this anymore he made the appointment. So I think when he comes (its a 3pm appt) I am going to be in my pajamas, no makeup, hair a mess, dirty dishes all over, floors unkept, beds unmade, David in a complete mess, and see if that helps But in all honesty thats not me, I will kill myself making sure everything is good and proper but its really really tempting trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    I've come to the conclusion that the home health agencies want is to help old ladies to the commode and cut their toast.
    Yep. I tried working for one once. They charged $25/hr((then)) & of course insurance didn't pay because it wasn't a necessity. Plus,I got fussed @ for helping a client in the shower & helped dry her off. Wtf? I thought the point would be to help them be independent &stay at home.I was more less a housekeeper/

A friend called medicare to help with adl's, they suggested a nursing home. Much cheaper,eh?!

Not to be rude, but you are SO 100% wrong about that. We have tried and tried and TRIED and no one wants this job. And the ones that take it? Doesn't matter if they are nursing students, college students, flippin' Mother Teresa .... after a few months they flake out and quit or worse. And when we do have an aide, we pay by the task, not the hour. Still doesn't help .... LindaT and MSWIfe knows that I speaks da truth!
    I wished I lived closer to you...since moving into the condo...I miss cutting the lawn, trimming, etc. I would do those things so that you could spend more time with medium boy and Chad. I loved riding my riding lawnmower (once I figured out how to get my happy butt on it), and I love being outdoors. I hope your luck will change and that you find someone who would be happy helping out!
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliecoach View Post
    I wished I lived closer to you...since moving into the condo...I miss cutting the lawn, trimming, etc. I would do those things so that you could spend more time with medium boy and Chad. I loved riding my riding lawnmower (once I figured out how to get my happy butt on it), and I love being outdoors. I hope your luck will change and that you find someone who would be happy helping out!
    We need to move her north .... cuz I can come up with a couple of college students (mine, lol) who would be willing to work, at least the stuff that belongs on the "Honey Do" list. As long as she was flexible about the hours! (Not trying to imply you haven;t considered college kids .... just that I have a couple of pre-screened ones I just so happen to know ......) I am sure the problem is finding them, b/c I am sure around here, you are going to run into as just as many kids who aren;t willing as well.

But, I know she wouldn't be happy with the current weather ..... (although it IS a heat wave, after the last few days).
    Last edited by sjean423; 01-26-2011 at 04:23 PM.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005