Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: coffee

coffee

I was just wondering if anyone had this same problem. I like to drink coffee but i seem to get alot of bladder spasms and also there seems to be some pain down in the pelvic region, i am guessing this is coming from my bladder. The pain is only after drinking coffee and it is more of a burring sensation. To bad because i enjoy the smell of coffee and would like to drink it more often. Just not willing to take the pain and bladder spasms that come with it. I tried decaf and it seems to have the same effect. For now i just stick to water and watered down cranberry juice.

Your experience is not unusual. Prior to my getting Botox injections coffee was a major aggravation to my bladder. Orange juice as well. It's a pH thing and everyone has a different sensitivity level.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    certain foods have the same effect too

Caffeine is a diuretic and a bladder stimulant that can cause a sudden need to urinate. In addition, the tannins and acids in coffee and many teas are major bladder irritants. Many herbal teas are high in acid, like rosehips tea for instance. Carbonated drinks, tea and coffee (caffeinated or decaffeinated), artificial sweeteners, corn syrup, and foods and beverages that are high in spice, sugar and acid, such as citrus and tomatoes, can aggravate the bladder.

There is a medical bladder condition called Interstitial cystitis (IC), also known as bladder pain syndrome (BPS), painful bladder syndrome (PBS) or hypersensitive bladder syndrome (HBS) that once diagnosed is partially managed with dietary restrictions of foods and beverages that cause bladder irritation and contribute to pain, pressure and frequent urination.

All the best,
    GJ

Good post GJ; you covered it all.

There is less caffeine in drinks from the espresso machine. So try an Americano or a long espresso. I find they irritate my bladder less.

I limit it to one or two very good cups a day or every other day. since I am conservative, I can get good coffee, enjoy it a lot, and be satisfied. Now It would make it impossible to sleep if I drank more.
    I have learned to love tea also, and tea does not affect me like coffee.

One cup of joe every morning, and that's it.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Grind the beans every morning, typically a 50/50 mix of French roast and Vanilla.
    The coffee pot says 4 cups, but it really doesn't seem like it.
    I get my travel mug and put two portions of vanilla cream (I really like vanilla..)
    Then the coffee goes in mug and I'm off to the office.
    Creamy coffee, almost the taste of cocoa..

I try an hold it as long as I can, I figure I'm stretching out the bladder.. but when the hip starts having the stabbing pains it's time to head down the hall.
    Rick Brauer or just call me - Mr B

http://www.riseadventures.org

espresso

Quote Originally Posted by Van Quad View Post
    Good post GJ; you covered it all.

There is less caffeine in drinks from the espresso machine. So try an Americano or a long espresso. I find they irritate my bladder less.
    Ah! hey thanks for this; To my spouse, "Could make a cup of expresso please."

We have an inexpensive coffee/expresso maker and it works great but I have not taken advantage of the espresso function often. Trying to cut back on my beloved coffee.
    Gary Is = L-1 Para for 34 years.....................
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Another question please?

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Caffeine is a diuretic and a bladder stimulant that can cause a sudden need to urinate. In addition, the tannins and acids in coffee and many teas are major bladder irritants. Many herbal teas are high in acid, like rosehips tea for instance. Carbonated drinks, tea and coffee (caffeinated or decaffeinated), artificial sweeteners, corn syrup, and foods and beverages that are high in spice, sugar and acid, such as citrus and tomatoes, can aggravate the bladder.

There is a medical bladder condition called Interstitial cystitis (IC), also known as bladder pain syndrome (BPS), painful bladder syndrome (PBS) or hypersensitive bladder syndrome (HBS) that once diagnosed is partially managed with dietary restrictions of foods and beverages that cause bladder irritation and contribute to pain, pressure and frequent urination.

All the best,
    GJ
    I would like to thank everyone for your comments. Information can help us all to improve the quality of our lives. I am a T-10 complete. I mentioned earlier that after drinking coffee it seems to aggravate my bladder area with a burning sensation along with bladder spasms.
    Although i am a T-10 complete, how is it i can feel the pain coming from the bladder region? I thought i wasn't able to interpret pain or sensation from that area?