Thread: BM taking longer with no changes of any kind

BM taking longer with no changes of any kind

I am a C4 C5 complete quadriplegic 15 years post injury. I have noticed my bowel movement has taken longer and longer in the past few weeks. I typically sit on a commode chair and am given a Magic Bullet suppository. I usually sit for an hour and have a bowel movement, get stimulated, and sit for an extra 30 minutes. So I go anywhere from an hour and a half to two hours. Now I don't start having a bowel movement about an hour after I have already sat or I might need another Magic Bullet to get me started. My bowel movement lasted 3 hours and one three and a half hours. What is the rule for digital stimulation? How often should it be done? I also have not changed my diet and I take a tablespoon of Metamucil in water everyday.
    Marie
    Unbroken by the grace of God

Quote Originally Posted by quadmarie View Post
    I am a C4 C5 complete quadriplegic 15 years post injury. I have noticed my bowel movement has taken longer and longer in the past few weeks. I typically sit on a commode chair and am given a Magic Bullet suppository. I usually sit for an hour and have a bowel movement, get stimulated, and sit for an extra 30 minutes. So I go anywhere from an hour and a half to two hours. Now I don't start having a bowel movement about an hour after I have already sat or I might need another Magic Bullet to get me started. My bowel movement lasted 3 hours and one three and a half hours. What is the rule for digital stimulation? How often should it be done? I also have not changed my diet and I take a tablespoon of Metamucil in water everyday.
    Have you changed caregivers? Is all stool being removed from the rectal vault? Is the Magic Bullet being inserted into a stool mass? Are the Magic Bullets beyond their use by date?

Generally speaking a Magic Bullet bowel program should be:
    Remove all stool from the rectal vault. This is often easier to do (and more thorough) is you are lying on your side (on a disposable under pad).
    Insert a lubricated Magic Bullet high into the rectal vault.
    Transfer to a commode chair.
    Wait 15-20 minutes.
    Perform digital stimulation.
    Wait 15-20 minutes.
    Perform digital stimulation.
    Continue until you have had an adequate bowel program.

It usually helps to do the bowel program within half an hour of eating a meal. Often a hot beverage helps to stimulate a bowel movement.

Some people find they have to add a laxative like Miralax, to stimulate the bowel from the top down and use a Magic Bullet to stimulate from the bottom up.

You body may be getting used to the Magic Bullets. Maybe you would benefit from changing up your bowel routine. Have you tried Enemeez?

I want to try and avoid having to use laxatives if at all possible on a regular basis at least. I have thought of using those but have never tried any. I used to lay on my side but find it painful because I have a winged scapula. I will try drinking a hot beverage and prep stimulating more often.
    Marie
    Unbroken by the grace of God

A suppository and Enemeez ( 5 mls of natural ingredient) are put in the rectum and only empty out the lower part of the colon. They are not laxatives. What is the consistency of your stool? It should be formed, not hard, not too soft-like a milky way bar. Stool softeners help pull water in to the bowel so that the stool will not be too hard which of course makes it harder to move down in the GI tract. Of course drinking more water and high fiber diet help also.
    CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.