Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: ZRA S2 Arrived

Quote Originally Posted by petertan View Post
    But being able to solve a floating caster this way is something I would never have thought of. This is valuable information to CC members with similar chair and problem.
    I agree.

If the floating caster if of minimal consequences, I will consider doing this at a later time as I read that it needs some effort to loosen the footrest.
    I don't think it is as major as you might be concerned it is. If it is the same as the ZRA I tested in, you loosen the allen screw, then leave the allen wrench againt the bolt and give the end of the wrench a smack with your hand or a hammer and it comes loose.

I should be around 5'10" to 5'11".
    You look taller.

I would love to increase the COG since this chair is still very stable...
    Doing so may make your chair lighter, as you were hoping.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

I think I complain too much. This chair is so different from the previous one. I just need to do things differently. In time, I believe, I will find a way and get used to it. Thanks for humouring me.
    Along these lines, you mentioned that you use the arm rests for transferring into the car. Is this the only reason that you need them? Maybe coming up with a new technique that does not rely on the armrests would be helpful. Then you remove them all together. Your wife wouldn't have to deal with them, the weight of the chair would be reduced, etc. etc. I haven't used armrests in years, and I know a lot of other CC members don't use them either.

My injury is much lower than yours, I suspect, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

Nice looking ride, by the way!
    -Taziar

This chair is so different from the previous one. I just need to do things differently. In time, I believe, I will find a way and get used to it. Thanks for humouring me.
    That's the best mindset to have.

Provided you have the trunk control, the tighter 85 degree frame on your ZRA will allow you to scoot way out to the front of the seat without having to worry about the chair tipping forward (especially with the casters reversed). This may allow you to modify your transfer technique.

Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    I don't think it is as major as you might be concerned it is. If it is the same as the ZRA I tested in, you loosen the allen screw, then leave the allen wrench againt the bolt and give the end of the wrench a smack with your hand or a hammer and it comes loose.
    If it is that easy, I am going to get the wife to attempt and get rid of the floating.

You look taller.
    The last time I measured myself was about 10 years ago. I was 35 then. I don't think I have gained any height since. :P

Doing so may make your chair lighter, as you were hoping.
    This is not the kind of light I was hoping for. The wife noted that the ZRA without the wheels are as heavy as the folding aluminium with wheels. Could be a perception problem as the ZRA is bulkier and she is not used to carrying it, yet. But I also did feel that the chair is not as light as I had anticipated.
    C5-C6 ASIA C - October 15, 1984
    Tilite ZRA Series 2
    The DIGITAL AWAKENING
    Living One Day At A Time
    www.petertan.com/blog/

Quote Originally Posted by taziar View Post
    Along these lines, you mentioned that you use the arm rests for transferring into the car. Is this the only reason that you need them? Maybe coming up with a new technique that does not rely on the armrests would be helpful. Then you remove them all together. Your wife wouldn't have to deal with them, the weight of the chair would be reduced, etc. etc. I haven't used armrests in years, and I know a lot of other CC members don't use them either.

My injury is much lower than yours, I suspect, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

Nice looking ride, by the way!
    -Taziar
    The 3 years when I was using the folder with the arm rests, I have gotten used to using it as a rail to prevent me from falling off when I lean sideways. I didn't put on the arm rests for the ZRA when I first sat in it, leaned sideway to look for something that fell to the floor and nearly fell off the chair. If they continue to bug me, I'll just have to live without them at some point and remember not to lean too far sideways and also to learn to transfer without them. Thanks for sharing, Taziar.
    Tilite ZRA Series 2
    The DIGITAL AWAKENING
    Living One Day At A Time
    www.petertan.com/blog/

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    That's the best mindset to have.

Provided you have the trunk control, the tighter 85 degree frame on your ZRA will allow you to scoot way out to the front of the seat without having to worry about the chair tipping forward (especially with the casters reversed). This may allow you to modify your transfer technique.
    I'll have to learn another to transfer if I really want to get rid of the armrests. I did try to use the push handles for leverage but there was some play and I did not want to risk breaking it or spraining my wrist. Since I sit at almost the same level as the car seat, I may just be able to make it without depending on the armrests. Thank you again.
    Tilite ZRA Series 2
    The DIGITAL AWAKENING
    Living One Day At A Time
    www.petertan.com/blog/

Peter - sorry if I missed it in the thread already, but what is the backrest situation... is it okay?

I'll have to learn another to transfer if I really want to get rid of the armrests. I did try to use the push handles for leverage but there was some play and I did not want to risk breaking it or spraining my wrist. Since I sit at almost the same level as the car seat, I may just be able to make it without depending on the armrests. Thank you again.
    Obviously I do not know your transfer routine Peter, but I throw this out there. Prior to my new chair, I used one of my armrests to push on when transferring. (I took the one armrest off on the side I was transferring out of and pushed off on the other.) With my new chair I am not using armrests and I had to learn another way. That way was by using the frame where it comes out from under my cushion and bends down towards the footrest. This works well as it also allows for leaning forward to help shift weight. I will note that I have an additional 1" of frame on my chair that gives a little more room to grab.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    i realize there are people who need armrests for support, but when in rehab or getting a chair the DME always seem to push getting the armrest. they did it to me and after about a year of taking them off and on all the time, i did away with them. come to find out they are like push handles, useless to me and no longer in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    i realize there are people who need armrests for support, but when in rehab or getting a chair the DME always seem to push getting the armrest. they did it to me and after about a year of taking them off and on all the time, i did away with them. come to find out they are like push handles, useless to me and no longer in the way.
    Back when I was in rehab during the mid-19th Century, there was a local para who would stop by to help the newbies with wheelchair skills. All of the demos were outfitted with armrests, so we got used to them. When I was placing my order for my discharge/first chair, a Quickie II, he forbade me to order armrests. I don't remember this guy's name, but thank you wherever you are.