Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: ZRA S2 Arrived

"The aluminium sideguards are great at keeping my pants away from the wheels but they also extend beyond the wheels and that impedes transfers."

I may be corrected, but TiLite has two generic side guards, small and large. It appears to me you have the large. The small would have stopped shorter, but they also would not have went up to the top of the wheel.

Why not just pull the side guard off when transferring?
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

peter, yup thats a pet peeve several of us have addressed. u need to remove slide them back redrill and thats it.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Blog Entries
    Peter, if you don't have a grip problem, I'd consider wearing gloves for pushing when you are outside. I use very lightweight batters gloves, and don't even notice them any more. Inside, I don't find the slickness is enough to bother me. If you push using your hand in the same position as in the photo, you might find it easier if you place your thumb along the top of the push rim for a bit of extra "grab".

Back when I used armrests, I used to just lift them up and rotate them out of the way for transfers. It *is* a nice looking chair!

Don

Don
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Great looking chair Peter, I hope the kinks work out quickly for you! Mine is arriving this week!

Great looking chair, and looks like a good fit. Takes awhile to get real comfy. You'll get there. I don't have an answer for the side guards. I second what Brianm says. I ordered the small side guards and they were too short; came below the wheels. Then I had to order regular ones. But I've been able to move these back far enough. But I have the ZRA1

jackson - Have you taken delivery of your chair? Should arrive any time soon.

Lenny - We can meet up to ogle each other's chair after the CNY season?

Aaron - Thanks. Would love to check out your handcycle. That could be my next "project".

SCI_OTR - The cantilevered frame in the box. :P
    C5-C6 ASIA C - October 15, 1984
    Tilite ZRA Series 2
    The DIGITAL AWAKENING
    Living One Day At A Time
    www.petertan.com/blog/

toto - You have got very sharp eyes. Done! Thanks. I see that you learnt about the yellow cover from fuentes.

Brian - I got the large ones. Other than removing the sideguard, I also need to remove the arm rest before transferring. It is such a hassle when I am out as the wife has to remove everything before storing the chair in the car boot. I think we both need to get used to this routine, so different from my previous chair which was basically fold and go.

fuente - Looks like drilling holes is a simpler task than profiling but I will need check if the back part of the sideguards are rubbing against the side of the backrest.

Don - I wear gloves and it is slippery as well. My leather gloves came with rubber pads for the palm but they got worn out pretty fast and they are very expensive. So now I just use them without the pads. I can't grip the push rims with my thumbs as I don't have strength there. As for the arm rest, I need it to push myself into the car. Need to learn how to do it with this as it flops around when not locked in and too long when locked in. Haha. Thanks for the compliments.

jackson - Post up pics when they arrive, hopefully you don't take as long as me to do that though.

Lynne - Thanks. I am slowly getting comfortable in it. Need to do a few more adjustments as I go along. I will either profile the side guards or drill holes as fuente suggested. Meanwhile, I am just enjoying the new chair. The best of all, it doesn't creak! The poly casters are uncomfortable on tiled floors though.
    Tilite ZRA Series 2
    The DIGITAL AWAKENING
    Living One Day At A Time
    www.petertan.com/blog/

It looks like your feet may be tucked a little further back than they need to be. If you bring them further forward on the footrest, will your knees be too high or splay out? If so, then your footrest should be lowered a little bit (consult owners manual or search this site for the proper technique to do this without frustration. You can also get rid of that floating caster in the process).

I have a question. How much of a gap is there between the back of your knee and the cushion? It is hard to tell from the pic, if there is no gap and tuck your feet that far back, then your pelvis will tend to be pulled forward.

Also, when you put your hands down to your sides, where is the hub of the rear wheel in relation to your middle finger?

Looking at the pic of your posture in the other chair, you are already sitting better. A few adjustments and a few more posts to go, but it looks like you will get there.

The feet can be in a more forward position with just a slight difference to the height of the knee or splaying out. It just felt more comfortable with them that far back. Do you think moving the footrest down another 1/4" or 1/2" could make it better? I am a bit reluctant to do adjustments for the floating caster if it will not pose any problem. You mean to say adjusting the footrest height will eliminate that problem?

There is about a 2.5" gap between cushion and back of knee. With the current 3.5" dump and backrest angle, I feel like falling forward and compensate that by sitting slightly forward which makes me slouch. I have not adjusted the straps yet. What would you suggest?

Sitting up straight, the middle of my middle finger is at the center of the hub. I understand that the tip should be touching the hub. Please share the logic to this.

Other than those issues, I am almost happy with the wheelchair out of the box. It is like what I have expected except it is not as light as I had anticipated.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    It looks like your feet may be tucked a little further back than they need to be. If you bring them further forward on the footrest, will your knees be too high or splay out? If so, then your footrest should be lowered a little bit (consult owners manual or search this site for the proper technique to do this without frustration. You can also get rid of that floating caster in the process).

I have a question. How much of a gap is there between the back of your knee and the cushion? It is hard to tell from the pic, if there is no gap and tuck your feet that far back, then your pelvis will tend to be pulled forward.

Also, when you put your hands down to your sides, where is the hub of the rear wheel in relation to your middle finger?

Looking at the pic of your posture in the other chair, you are already sitting better. A few adjustments and a few more posts to go, but it looks like you will get there.
    Tilite ZRA Series 2
    The DIGITAL AWAKENING
    Living One Day At A Time
    www.petertan.com/blog/

Wait till lenny got his new ZRA, we can meet in midvalley and show off our chair a little bit, hahaha.
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.