Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: ZRA S2 Arrived

Thanks for the info Peter... I think my 'official' sign back by Motion Specialities was the middle of December after a lot of back and forth so who knows for sure? Very frustrating experience and wish/hope in the future to cut out the 'middle man' who pockets over $6000 on my order.

Laidbacklen, when did you sign off on your order?

Oh yeah, Peter, is it unpacked yet? Photos????

jackson233,
    I signed off on the 23rd December 2010. I would have got some of the measurement wrong if not for Peter's valuable input not forgetting the front frame taper. I would also like to express my sincere appreciation to Jimbo of Sportaid.

Peter,
    When can I come over to check out your new ride?

wow congrats from across the causeway cant wait to see the pics
    I've got 99 problems but the wheelchair ain't 1

Quote Originally Posted by laidbacklen View Post
    jackson233,
    I signed off on the 23rd December 2010. I would have got some of the measurement wrong if not for Peter's valuable input not forgetting the front frame taper. I would also like to express my sincere appreciation to Jimbo of Sportaid.

Peter,
    When can I come over to check out your new ride?
    Yep. Jimbo rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by petertan View Post
    Just thought I should share with CC members who have done a great job in helping me to spec the chair, especially SCI_OTR with the valuable comments. I took delivery of it this morning.

As I was looking at the chair, I got a little melancholic thinking of Andy Barker of Bike-On who got the process of ordering going but could not see it to completion.

Anyway, will post photos when it is fully assembled. The attached photo is of my cat Cheeky checking out the yet unopened box.
    Peter,

You got a cantilevered frame, not the "box frame" we keep seeing in this thread.

Your cat is not the only one who wants to get a look at it. Get those pics posted!!!

Photo and first impressions of the chair

Apologies for the delay in posting the photos. The wife has been extremely busy with work. This photo was taken just an hour ago. I have been using the ZRA since yesterday and had backache. It has disappeared though.

The backrest is in its original position. I could be mistaken initially for assuming that it was 90 degrees. It looks leaned back. There is some significant play of the backrest when locked in upright position. I am also watching out for signs of the backrest problems other CC members are facing with the ZRA S2.

I am sitting higher up here as compared to the old chair due to the 2" Stimulite Sport and taut seat upholstery. This will need some getting used to. The cushion, although firmer than I had expected, is comfortable. I don't need to shift my weight that often. The 3.5" dump doesn't feel extreme. I think I can go down to 4" and still comfortable. I may also want to lower the back seat height by another inch from 16.5".

After SCI_OTR suggested that I should go for longer vertical struts, I put in a note for one with medium-length but this looks short. Nevertheless, I don't think I need to raise the RSH. I am comfortable as it is and am thinking whether I should move it up another 0.5" to go for the 4" seat dump.

The chair is very stable with 2" COG. There was no tippiness going up a 1:12 gradient incline. I may want to go for 2.5" at a later time. I am also happy with the 85 degrees front angle and the footrest with ABS cover. My legs are tucked back, very comfortable and I am sure they won't be able to slip off the back edge.

The following are some of the issues with the chair. The anodized aluminium push rims are slippery. I will be wrapping them with the racket tapes to see if I can get a better grip. The aluminium sideguards are great at keeping my pants away from the wheels but they also extend beyond the wheels and that impedes transfers. The brackets are already moved to the 4 frontmost holes. I am looking to have them profiled to the wheels. Likewise, the arm rests are extend out too far to the front. I would prefer them to be 2" shorter for transfer without having to remove them.

I have 2 questions. SCI_OTR, you mentioned about posterior pelvic tilt with my previous wheelchair. I have a feeling that that I have the same issue with this new chair. Any comment and solution to that?

The other is that the left caster floats a little when empty but all 4 wheels contact the ground and doesn't seem to pull to one side when I am seated on it. Is there any need to correct this issue?

Otherwise, I am generally happy with how this chair has turned out. Thank you everyone for your comments and advice. I am going to be even happier when I have it dialed in for that perfect fit.
    C5-C6 ASIA C - October 15, 1984
    Tilite ZRA Series 2
    The DIGITAL AWAKENING
    Living One Day At A Time
    www.petertan.com/blog/

Quote Originally Posted by petertan View Post
    There is some significant play of the backrest when locked in upright position.
    ... The aluminium sideguards are great at keeping my pants away from the wheels but they also extend beyond the wheels and that impedes transfers.
    ... The other is that the left caster floats a little when empty ...
    the guy in the chair doesn't look anywhere near as happy as the guy in the avatar.
    <sigh> I hope Ti quality improves. Sure makes a guy wonder how they can charge so much. So glad I splurged on my Lasher.

peter, that cushion will break in. nice ride.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    that cushion will break in.
    yes, and take out the yellow cover that you`ve got inside.

tooley - I was overwhelmed by the new ride, the good and the issues that came with it. Quality could be better but this rigid is very responsive as compared to my previous folding. But then again, this costs twice as much as the folding. I will be as happy as how I look in the avatar when all the nitty gritty are resolved.

fuente - Thanks. Yes, I like this cushion. Hopefully, when it breaks in, it will be even more comfortable. I cannot even remember the last time my buttocks felt so pampered.
    C5-C6 ASIA C - October 15, 1984
    Tilite ZRA Series 2
    The DIGITAL AWAKENING
    Living One Day At A Time
    www.petertan.com/blog/