Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Renacidin users - shortage?

Renacidin users - shortage?

The company that supplies us with Matt's Renacidine has told us there is a nationwide 'shortage' due to some manufacturing snafu. They're not sure when they're going to be able to get it again.

This presents a huge problem for us, as if Matt goes without the Renacidin instillations for even 10 days (we don't do the Renacidin if he's taking antibiotics), he gets grit and blockage of his catheter, dysreflexia, and emergency cath changes.

Anyone know of any substitutes? Could a compounding pharmacy make up the solution?

Here's an article that talks about the reason for the shortage - there's nothing that I could find on the manufacturer's site - http://www.hotstocked.com/8-k/united...UG-335769.html

Hi,
    Thanks for sharing this information. I am not aware of another substitute that contains the same active ingredients but people do use normal saline as an irrigation solution.

You could try contacting the company to see if they are aware of any similar products as usually manufacturers know this information.

Lets see if others know of any alternatives.

AAD

jcannon

I have suggested the use of adding one ounce of citric acid(sour salt spice available at spice stores) to one liter of sterile water. This produces a 3% solution of citric acid which is the same as in renacidin. It is lacking some sodium bicarbonate, EDTA, and magnesium found in renacidin. This has worked for two people with chronic catheter for the past two months during the shortage. It produces a slight burning sensation.

Neither citric acid nor acetic acid are the same as Renacidin, although some attempt to use them the same way.

We have been informed that stock of Renacidin should again be available toward the end of March or early April. Until then, use a smaller amount (10-20 cc instead of the usual 30 cc.) for instillation if your supplies are getting low.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    We have been informed that stock of Renacidin should again be available toward the end of March or early April. Until then, use a smaller amount (10-20 cc instead of the usual 30 cc.) for instillation if your supplies are getting low.
    (KLD)
    I just got word from a VP of the manufacturer Guardian labs dated 3/27/11:

The product has been available for the past week. We are cutting back on the quantity we can ship per order because we will not have a continuing supply until about mid-May. In the interim we have a built up demand and we do not want to run out once again.

Have your pharmacy check with their wholesaler.

Unfortunately there is no sub for Renacidin.

We got the news also that backorders 'may' start to be filled at the end of this month.

In the meantime, Matt's urologist has recommended we contact a compounding pharmacy he uses to see if they can compound it. They can, and I will be ordering 6 bottles, even though we have to pay out of pocket for it (Matt is on a Medicaid waiver, and the process for changing the supplier is so involved, it's not worth going through the hassle). At least we'll have some on hand if the supply continues to run short. If anyone wants the name of the pharmacy, PM me and I'll send it to you.

This sucks so badly. If Matt doesn't have the Renacidin, he can get grit/stone buildup in as few as 6 or 7 days, with blocked catheters and really bad AD. Continually changing catheters that are encrusted with grit do damage to the urethra, so it's not something we want to be doing all the time.

We can supply a compounded form a Renacidin

While this product is on backorder, we are able to compound it (make it from scratch) for you. Your doctor's office may contact us at 800-890-1137 or 518-220-2005. We are Fallon Wellness Pharmacy located in Latham, NY.

I just got word that United Guardian the manufacturers/distributors of Renacidin ran out in July, 2012. They don't expect to have it in stock again until December, 2012, at best.

After the 2011 shortage, it looks like they don't really care much for their customers.

My pharmacy cannot locate any Renacidin any where, any suggestions?

See message above. Compounding pharmacies are you best option at this point.

http://www.fallonpharmacy.com

Here is another:

http://www.wedgewoodrx.com/healthcar...-solution.html

and another:

http://www.millerspharmacy.com/ns/Di...ocID=lexi-5911

(KLD)