Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2011 cleveland marathon

I'm not sure I understand how it wouldn't be legal. Okay, so the eliminated the HC division... As Katja said, there are plenty of marathons that don't have HC divisions. Are they saying you aren't allowed to race a chair in the general division? If so, it's probably because they have rules against mechanical aids. I'm not sure that there's a way around that. Actually, I just went to the website:
    1. No wheeled vehicles are allowed on the course at any time. All bikes, strollers, motorcyles, cars, etc. will be immediately removed by race personnel.

I'd check up on all the rules. If it's a privately funded and organized event, I don't think they have a legal obligation to include anyone they don't want to (could be wrong). Also, it is a USATF sanctioned event - I'd call them first to see if USTAF governed marathons have any requirement to have a HC division. If not, you may be SOL.

i hear u brian, not end of the world, i just dont like being told no, ya know what i mean?? its a nyc qualifier just like akron and columbus thou.

you and katja are correct, but those marathons will nornmally let you in to do the course. i just want my time, thats all i wanted out of this one. pittsburghh is the same weekend, if i need to ill do it, that has a good size div.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    Also, it is a USATF sanctioned event - I'd call them first to see if USTAF governed marathons have any requirement to have a HC division. If not, you may be SOL.
    http://www.usatf.org/about/legal/policies/ADA.asp

intresting
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    Well, at least there's due process.

As far as Cleveland in particular goes, I imagine it all comes down to money. If there aren't enough entry fees for an HC division, they'll probably nix it.

i hear u brian, not end of the world, i just dont like being told no, ya know what i mean?? its a nyc qualifier just like akron and columbus thou.
    Yeah, I know.
    I didn't know it was an NYC qualifier. I'm not sure how qualification works, but could you claim that without Cleveland there aren't enough opportunities to qualify?

I went to school in Pittsburgh and really like it there. I wonder how many hills are in the course, though. That city can be pretty steep.
    Last edited by brian; 01-21-2011 at 02:16 PM.

The race director reminds me of Fred Lebow's attitude when he was director of NYC Marathon. You have a right to be pissed, if you consider alternatives look at Detroit Freepress International Marathon. Super fast underwater mile through tunnel between Windsor and Detroit. Biggest hill is bridge between Canada/US. Good sized handcycle and wheelchair division.

Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    I don't see why not. Annoying, but not illegal. Lots of marathons don't have a wheelchair division.
    Just an addendum - I was responding to "no wheelchair division", not "won't let me enter". The former is annoying. The latter would make me mad, too.

Sorry I didn't read the OP more carefully before responding.

Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    Just an addendum - I was responding to "no wheelchair division", not "won't let me enter". The former is annoying. The latter would make me mad, too.

Sorry I didn't read the OP more carefully before responding.
    ITS cool. i didnt think u read my posts clearly. i could give a shit about the division, i just want to do it.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    ITS cool. i didnt think u read my posts clearly. i could give a shit about the division, i just want to do it.
    hey now, you shouldn't say "shit" on here, some people are easily offended

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    hey now, you shouldn't say "shit" on here, some people are easily offended
    lol, ........................
    Last edited by fuentejps; 01-26-2011 at 05:03 PM.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Blog Entries
    The lead sponsor of the event is Rite Aid. I doubt they want to be linked to an event that discriminates against part of their customer base.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12