Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need a new abdominal binder

If you would've told me 19 years ago that one day I'd be shopping for corsets for myself...

Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    If you would've told me 19 years ago that one day I'd be shopping for corsets for myself...
    I would have given you my pre-injury ones since we share the same disasterversary day. You might have wanted to have them tailored more for a guy...
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

I use a 2 piece athletic back binder 2nd piece is heated and then will conform to shape of your body. That is a rigid piece. Can insert into binder or leave out. Velcro has not worn. Probably can tighten enough to hurt yourself. I have woke up during night hurting, but I also have a rebuilt ab. I would need to find link. I did quick look, but not have, but can find if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
    I use a 2 piece athletic back binder 2nd piece is heated and then will conform to shape of your body. That is a rigid piece. Can insert into binder or leave out. Velcro has not worn. Probably can tighten enough to hurt yourself. I have woke up during night hurting, but I also have a rebuilt ab. I would need to find link. I did quick look, but not have, but can find if you want.
    Sounds like a "Warm and Form" or "Form Fit" type back support. Not really designed as an abdominal binder, but might work for some. Be careful that the rigid piece does not cause pressure problems for your skin.

(KLD)

SCI, it is exactly what you are saying. I do not use the warm piece, which would contour to back. It does have 2 built in supports that are close to back-hip based on stretch. The 2nd piece is a solid-curved that attaches across abdomen. Then it has attaches straps that go across abdomen that can tighten based on stretch. Made by Med Spec. I can post link. It by far best thing I ever used for ab. I have a reconstructed ab, skin graphs, pieces taken out, colostomy and colostomy removed. Great you said this though, so others know.

I got it at 1 of these 2 www.betterbraces.com or www.braceshop.com I have bought from each. They also give me a lot of ideas and manufacturers I then go research

Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    Great, thanks so much. Now as far as sizing, when not wearing a binder and the 'ol quad gut is untamed, my pants are around 38-40", ugh. Am I better to order a size in that area, or a smaller size that I want to tighten it and keep the gut under control?
    I wear one size smaller; it will be snug to start but they stretch out within a week. Then one can adjust with the straps. The first couple days they are fairly stiff. And naturally the tighter the corset the more one bulges out elsewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by NowhereMan View Post
    Are you satisfied with the 9473 (if you got it yet)? I'm looking to buy a Trulife corset and don't know if I should get the 9473, 9474, or 9667. Thanks.
    I have been using Camp, now Trulife corsets for over 30 years. I wore the 9667 for years, but went to the 9473 a few years ago. I'm 6'2" and the 9473 is 2.5" longer in front and fits better. Yes, I'm very satified. Yes, I received it over a week ago.

The 9473 and 9474 are all hooks to fasten; the 9667 is hooks and snaps. If you like it tight, the snap can unsnap over time. Especially if you're try to hold in 10 pounds of potatoes in a 5 pound sack!

Important: I always remove the 4 stays in back and strip off the material on the inside and outside that contains the stays. This is the only area of the corset that has ever caused pressure issues in the past.

I have a S/P so I always leave the bottom couple hooks unfastened so as to not pinch the catheter.
    Last edited by NWC4; 05-08-2013 at 06:52 PM.