Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: malware, computer help, help, help me (rhonda, anyone... bueller...)

Quote Originally Posted by feisty View Post
    this link doesn't work?
    Feisty,
    The link worked for me (even from your quote) it could be that the malware is blocking it.
    In any case as the others have pointed out you need to boot to safe mode to update malwarebytes and apparently to read this particular tutorial.

However, I just cleaned a friends puter last Sunday and after downloading the cleaner program and running it it safe mode it wasn't able to remove the malware in Safe mode because it couldn't find it.
    So I had to reboot to normal mode, let the malware become resident, then use a small program called Rkill (as described, and linked to in the tutorial) to disable the malware and allow Malwarebytes to do it's thing.

To recap:
    Boot in safe mode.
    Download and update Malwarebytes.
    Download and save a copy of the tutorial.
    Download and save the various versions of RKill.
    Reboot to normal mode.
    Run Rkill (you may have to try several versions to find the right one. When you do run the right one a dos-style command box will pop up.)
    Then run Malwarebytes.

Good luck.
    Jeff
    Doh!

the virus i had fixed/gotten rid of, is back, yet i'm allowed to peruse using a different browser.

i'm trying to follow these directions, because it's similar to how it was cleaned up earlier-I watched my friend do it
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4741166_remo...n-spyware.html

the version of malwarebites on my pc that he had installed is not working (file infected by W32/Blaster.worm- which is what it says when I try to use anything, my regular browser, solitare, anything.) as instructed in the link's instructions, but I can't find a free version...

meeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
    help
    feisty, I see you posted. I hope you got your computer straightened out and got rid of the virus. I had a very nasty one last year. I had difficulty even working in safemode eventually. I could download malwarebytes, but virus wouldnt allow it to run. I forget the name of it, it was a well known one. Hope it is ok now. (Bueller!!!, you are funny)

wish me luck. i'm about to try it. If you never hear from me again, it's because I screwed up something vital lol.
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

lol, it will be fine, don't worry. If you are still working, things can't be that bad.

So here goes.

I went into safe mode. (insert danger music)
    There were a few extra selections to make, like I think I picked Administrator... and then the operating system.

I got a black-screened desktop, with less than my normal icons on it, went to boot up mozilla (which is my default browzer) and it wouldn't connect. (continued to try to connect all thru the process, would not connect) I looked for E explorer, couldn't find it anywhere in my Start or All Programs menu- nowhere.

Malwarebytes was already on my PC from last month's fix, so I figured I'd run it, even without updating (still no connection) and quick scanned. (found 1 thing, followed steps to remove trojan) Then I used the Microsoft security essentials from last month in there to scan as well, (still couldn't update, but whatevs, ran it- scan came back clear)

restarted computer

upon immediate startup, it gave me prompts for MSE and Malwarebytes blah blah blah's I updated them both (now that I could get a connection- weird, right?) and ran them. They both pulled something out (MSE-2 things, MalWB 3 things- 1 of which said win32worm).

Now that I thought I had updated and ran both softwares, I restarted my pc, thinking victory- and as soom as I rebooted THE GODDAMN VIRUS PROTECTION FAKE VIRUS BULLSHIT POPPED BACK UP ON MY COMPUTER, I COULD HAVE DIED OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I felt so accomplished

If I recall correctly this is a "boondoggled" version of Windows XP. You may need to ante up and purchase a OEM full version of Windows 7 Home Premium.

Also, stop downloading music off Pirate Bay.

Give MRT a try (Post # 10).
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by PN View Post
    If I recall correctly this is a "boondoggled" version of Windows XP. You may need to ante up and purchase a OEM full version of Windows 7 Home Premium.

Also, stop downloading music off Pirate Bay.

Give MRT a try (Post # 10).
    this is a different computer. legit copy of xp.

and I havent dl'd any music lately, but thanks for the help in solving the problem currently.
    Last edited by feisty; 01-21-2011 at 09:34 PM. Reason: eta:there's no way I have $100 for a new software program. maybe on a nurse's salary... but yeah. not possible.

this is a different computer. legit copy of xp.

and I havent dl'd any music lately, but thanks for the help in solving the problem currently.

Safe boot w/Networking should allow you to get online for the updates.
    Doh!

Glad to read you went legit! Do you have the recovery or the Windows XP installation disk?
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by PN View Post
    You can also run the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool by clicking on START, RUN and type
    "MRT” (without the quotes). Choose a Full Scan.

Here is the link Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool in case you need to download.
    I did this earlier, and once again just to double check. the system won't let me execute it, because it dl's, and then infects it before i can run/install.

I think that if i can connect to the internet in safe mode andc do it, it might hellp, but for some reason, I don't know where to look to check/fix that? I woukld also be able to do my updates in there.